Immediate shut down on Furmark test

Sep 11, 2018
Hello,

A few weeks ago my computer shut down after playing Farcry Primal for a couple of hours. It powered up a few seconds later and I started to play again, which I was able to do for about 5 mins before it shut down again. This happened about 3 times and it continues now.

I have opened the tower and cleaned out the dust which had settled on the graphics card as well as on the fans, but the problem persists.

I have tried stressing the CPU with no problems indicated. I then tried to stress the GPU with Furmark, and as soon as I pressed the start button my computer automatically shut down (powering back up of its own volition after ~5 seconds).

Does this indicate a problem with the PSU?

Some of my comp spec is set out below -

Intel i7-4770K 3.50GHz CPU
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 280x GPU
Corsair CX750 PSU
2 fans on the GPU, 2 fans in the front of the case and an exhaust at theback as well as liquid cooling over the CPU

p.s. I have put this under the graphics thread because a friend suggested it's likely something to do with the GPU/heatsinks

Based on your Furmark test, and earlier problems, it's either the videocard or power supply. The CX line isn't Corsair's best. I had a CX power supply die on me, although I did get good use out of it for what I think was a reasonable amount of time.

If it's overheating, it might be possible to test this by using a benchmark or game which doesn't put immediate maximum load on the GPU, but instead builds up heat over time. You could use a tool like MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU temps as the benchmark or game runs, and see if the temps keeping climbing past a safe point.

Sep 11, 2018
So I have been running games for about 10 minutes and the GPU head slowly builds up to 80 degrees. It runs at that level smoothly but after a few minutes (at the same temperature) the comp suddenly shuts down. It re-starts itself after a few seconds and even brings up a web page I had running in the background prior to shut down...

Sep 11, 2018

I forgot to post my progress! After doing some tests I was convinced as you suggested it was the PSU or GPU. Having replaced the Corsair PSU once already I decided to try it again (also it was much cheaper than the graphics card). It worked. All fired up no problem. Thank you.