[SOLVED] Immense stuttering with Ryzen 7 3800x, possibly linked to Device Manager in some way?

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
I'll cut to the chase. Occasionally, my computer will stutter heavily, dropping from 4200Mhz across all 16 logical cores to 500~, aside from the 0th core which stays at 4200Mhz. This momentary event (2-4 seconds long) will cause stuttering, from audio to visual jumps (moving my mouse causes it to jump around rather than moving smoothly around. This isn't much of an issue until around the 6-12 hour mark of my computer's uptime (sometimes 13 or so hours) which is when the stuttering will last indefinitely until forcefully shutting my computer down. Turning the computer off via "Shut Down" in the power options will lead to a shut down loop eventually leading to a POWER_DRIVER_STATE_FAILURE.

I have an idea that it may be linked to my IDE ATA/ATAPI controller (chipset), since right clicking and checking for hardware changes will ALWAYS start the "need to restart computer" stutters immediately. I have already reinstalled Windows 10, and this issue still persists. Aside from this occasional stuttering, the computer works completely fine. Would installing new drivers fix this issue, or should I resort to new methods to fix this problem?

EDIT:
Scanning ANY drivers for Hardware Changes will lead to immediate stuttering. What could be the cause of this?

I'll cut to the chase. Occasionally, my computer will stutter heavily, dropping from 4200Mhz across all 16 logical cores to 500~, aside from the 0th core which stays at 4200Mhz. This momentary event (2-4 seconds long) will cause stuttering, from audio to visual jumps (moving my mouse causes it to jump around rather than moving smoothly around. This isn't much of an issue until around the 6-12 hour mark of my computer's uptime (sometimes 13 or so hours) which is when the stuttering will last indefinitely until forcefully shutting my computer down. Turning the computer off via "Shut Down" in the power options will lead to a shut down loop eventually leading to a POWER_DRIVER_STATE_FAILURE.

I have an idea that it may be linked to my IDE ATA/ATAPI controller (chipset), since right clicking and checking for hardware changes will ALWAYS start the "need to restart computer" stutters immediately. I have already reinstalled Windows 10, and this issue still persists. Aside from this occasional stuttering, the computer works completely fine. Would installing new drivers fix this issue, or should I resort to new methods to fix this problem?

EDIT:
Scanning ANY drivers for Hardware Changes will lead to immediate stuttering. What could be the cause of this?
Did you install newest chipset drivers from AMD site ? They include SMBus drivers that might be responsible for that error.
It's illusory to look for driver updates thru Device manager, MS is way behind in driver updates.

I'll cut to the chase. Occasionally, my computer will stutter heavily, dropping from 4200Mhz across all 16 logical cores to 500~, aside from the 0th core which stays at 4200Mhz.
If your system stays at 4.2 even when idle it's not configured right.
If you just mean that you have it "overclocked" to 4.2Ghz all core then
one core hitting the max clocks could indicate that there is a single threaded workload with a high priority running causing windows to stop everything else until this thread is done with it's work.
You should run task manager (or better process explorer) sort by CPU usage and see what uses the most CPU when this happens,it could be some driver or update thereof since that would be justified to run at a high priority.

If you suspect the hard drive controller I would also run a check of all my hard drives(beginning with power and data cables and ending with checkdisk and surface scan) since an almost but not quite broken hard drive will cause the OS to work really hard on trying to communicate with it.

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
If your system stays at 4.2 even when idle it's not configured right.
If you just mean that you have it "overclocked" to 4.2Ghz all core then
one core hitting the max clocks could indicate that there is a single threaded workload with a high priority running causing windows to stop everything else until this thread is done with it's work.
You should run task manager (or better process explorer) sort by CPU usage and see what uses the most CPU when this happens,it could be some driver or update thereof since that would be justified to run at a high priority.

If you suspect the hard drive controller I would also run a check of all my hard drives(beginning with power and data cables and ending with checkdisk and surface scan) since an almost but not quite broken hard drive will cause the OS to work really hard on trying to communicate with it.
I have the motherboard set to where the base clock is 4.2Ghz, that's normal. The problem is that, at random, the cores will go from working all at around 4200Mhz to 500Mhz, with the first core at 4200.

Also, I use an M.2 drive, so I don't have any cables for it, it's just connected straight to the motherboard.

I have the motherboard set to where the base clock is 4.2Ghz, that's normal. The problem is that, at random, the cores will go from working all at around 4200Mhz to 500Mhz, with the first core at 4200.

Also, I use an M.2 drive, so I don't have any cables for it, it's just connected straight to the motherboard.
AMD says that 3.9 is base and 4.5 is max turbo for one core.
Still, run task manager and see if anything pops up when this happens.

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
If clock is set to 4.2 manually and falls to 500 or any other value it may be only because of overheating or low voltage.
I'm running a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 set on turbo in the BIOS, so the cooling hasn't ever really been an issue. Voltage may be an issue however, though I set the BIOS to automatically tune everything, so the voltage should have also gone up to level it out. What should I set the voltage to, if that was to be the reason?

I'm running a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 set on turbo in the BIOS, so the cooling hasn't ever really been an issue. Voltage may be an issue however, though I set the BIOS to automatically tune everything, so the voltage should have also gone up to level it out. What should I set the voltage to, if that was to be the reason?
Don't use any of that bios auto tune crap! Reset all to defaults. Enable XMP. Make sure Windows is set to Balanced Power

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Stuttering seems to happen less often, but they still happen regardless. Occasionally the stuttering requiring me to restart my PC will still occur, but less often. Otherwise, the periods between these events (around 2-3 hours between) are completely flawless and run perfectly with every game. I doubt this is hardware related, perhaps a driver somewhere is causing this?

For the record, I have the latest drivers for the following components:
Ryzen 7 3800x (Chipset from the AMD website)
Asus TUF GAMING x570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)
EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3

I am unsure if there are any drivers that could be causing this issue, but I will absolutely install an older version of any of the drivers if that will fix the issue.

Alex_Greene

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Can you borrow one from a friend? It might be failing, if the PC works normally with another PSU, then it would confirm it.
I will check to see if this is the cause. I noticed during these stuttering episodes that the wattage of some cores on my CPU will drop to under 1 watt, so I'm beginning to think that the PSU IS the problem. It's just strange that this stuttering didn't occur until after I upgraded my motherboard and CPU from Intel to AMD (reinstalling Windows 10 as well, of course.)