Question Impedance Question for DIY Center Speaker

Johnny Dasio

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Hello to community,
I am trying to build a center speaker for my 5.1 surround.
I have 2 x 8 ohm woofers (full range) for this center box.
I don't know many things about Impedance.
I will wire them in series (the easy way for me) to give me 16ohm. I will hook up this center to my old denon av-1802.
The specs of my amplifier says output 8ohm but in the back side of the unit (in the place where rca goes) says "center speaker 6-16Ω"

So if i hook my series wired center speaker (16ohm) will this be ok and safe to connect it to the amplifier??

Best Regards
Ioannis

kanewolf

Titan
Your homemade center channel is not a great idea. It will sound very different than the left and right front speaker. So as sounds move from left to center to right they will change tone. That can be distracting.

If you have two 8 ohm speakers, why not use just one of them to create an 8ohm load on your amp.

Johnny Dasio

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks a lot for your fast answer.

I have 4 x (old) ns-bp200 yamaha speakers (4" woofer + tweeter and 40watt rms for each speaker) for front (right and left) and for satellites at the back.
I will definitely thing about what you suggested. Because my yamaha speakers are in piano black finish and i cannot find a piano finish center in a decent price i decided to build a small piano black center speaker.

It is not a problem for me to just leave only one speaker at the center speaker to match the equal impedance of my denon.

This is the 8ohm speakers i have : Dayton Audio RS100T-8 4" Reference Woofer Truncated Frame

Do you think with just one speaker will this center be ok with the rest of this setup?