[SOLVED] Importance of 2080ti card choice when water cooling?

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Hi all,

To keep this short and sweet, im looking at doing a full custom cooling loop, and in it will be a 2080ti, my question is when it comes to pulling off the fans and heatsink and just using the card is there anything left to justify the price jump between each companies lower priced 2080ti and their higher priced ones? I'm going to be doing a manual OC on the card myself. Ive always been of the understanding that youre just paying for a better fan/heat sink and a better factory OC with the pricier cards, am i right or am i missing something important? (ive always been an EVGA founders edition reference man so thought itd be better to ask if theres some weird magic going on with customer cards to justify the pricing.)

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Its an old article https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-failures,38085.html

As for waterblocks its not the mounting holes that change but when you start getting into custom cards with bigger coolers they can and some do start to move components around on the cards.

I bought a pair of MSI 580 Twin Frozr's water cooled them just fine. So on a secondary computer bought a MSI 560 Ti Twin Frozr and later decided to water cool it, noboday made a waterblock for it. Once you get past a reference or FE card you need to look at blocks first before buying a card to see if they will fit.

If your wanting the best for OC'ing then go for a kingpin card, they are cherry picked. Other then that you will most likely...
A few things,

1 find a waterblock that you want to use then see what cards it fits. always sucks to buy a card and find out that no block fit it.

2 Take it with a grain of salt but i have heard the 2080 ti FE were having death issues.

3 Not all cards are created equal. Know that if a card is sold at X speed and X boost and as long as it can reach those numbers then the card is good. Its not guaranteed to any more then that.

That being said even on air my EVGA 2080 TI FTW3 ultra with all the power settings maxed out will do 2085MHz on GPU clock and +1400MHz on memory, it actually runs into a power limit before a thermal issue.

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
A few things,

1 find a waterblock that you want to use then see what cards it fits. always sucks to buy a card and find out that no block fit it.

2 Take it with a grain of salt but i have heard the 2080 ti FE were having death issues.

3 Not all cards are created equal. Know that if a card is sold at X speed and X boost and as long as it can reach those numbers then the card is good. Its not guaranteed to any more then that.

That being said even on air my EVGA 2080 TI FTW3 ultra with all the power settings maxed out will do 2085MHz on GPU clock and +1400MHz on memory, it actually runs into a power limit before a thermal issue.

Death issues, interesting is that why ive heard Nvidia is not happy with EVGA?

Not fitting? My only experience with water cooling GPUs has been with EVGA FEs, is there variations in the mounting screw locations across customer cards when they make changes to the reference card?

From my limited research it seems like upgraded power architecture is one of the main areas of improvement in higher end cards?... I guess ill do some research on GPU OC forums to see which cards have been yeilding the best results then hope I get lucky with its performance capabilities within overclocking and hopefully win the GPU silicon lottery.

Its an old article https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-failures,38085.html

As for waterblocks its not the mounting holes that change but when you start getting into custom cards with bigger coolers they can and some do start to move components around on the cards.

I bought a pair of MSI 580 Twin Frozr's water cooled them just fine. So on a secondary computer bought a MSI 560 Ti Twin Frozr and later decided to water cool it, noboday made a waterblock for it. Once you get past a reference or FE card you need to look at blocks first before buying a card to see if they will fit.

If your wanting the best for OC'ing then go for a kingpin card, they are cherry picked. Other then that you will most likely hit a power limit on the card before you hit a thermal limit.

Solution