Importance of matching memory

I have 256MB DIMM of unbuffered SDRAM, PC133 made by Micron with a
configuration of CAS2 and 32MB x 64, dual rank module and 16
components. (Almost sounds like I know what I am talking about but I
have no idea!) The point is that I want to increase my RAM to 512MB.

The manufacturer of the RAM is Micron. The question that I have is
which of the above factors need to be exactly matched in order for the
RAM to work compatibly, which is to say do I need to find exactly the
same manufacturer model or can I mix and match? (Any recos if I can mix
and match??)

Thanks
Ken K

"Ken K" <psnwREMOVE@theREMOVEkrones.com> wrote in message
> I have 256MB DIMM of unbuffered SDRAM, PC133 made by Micron with a
> configuration of CAS2 and 32MB x 64, dual rank module and 16
> components. (Almost sounds like I know what I am talking about but I
> have no idea!) The point is that I want to increase my RAM to 512MB.
>
> The manufacturer of the RAM is Micron. The question that I have is
> which of the above factors need to be exactly matched in order for the
> RAM to work compatibly, which is to say do I need to find exactly the
> same manufacturer model or can I mix and match? (Any recos if I can mix
> and match??

It's more than just CAS latency that should match. tRAS, tRP, tRCD also
should match, and maybe the chip density. The good news: Micron memory
and Crucial memory are the same thing. Get Crucial's phone number from
http://www.crucial.com, call them, and give them the Micron module number.
They should be able to match your module.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

"Ken K" <psnwREMOVE@theREMOVEkrones.com> wrote in message
> I have 256MB DIMM of unbuffered SDRAM, PC133 made by Micron with a
> configuration of CAS2 and 32MB x 64, dual rank module and 16
> components. (Almost sounds like I know what I am talking about but I
> have no idea!) The point is that I want to increase my RAM to 512MB.
>
> The manufacturer of the RAM is Micron. The question that I have is
> which of the above factors need to be exactly matched in order for the
> RAM to work compatibly, which is to say do I need to find exactly the
> same manufacturer model or can I mix and match? (Any recos if I can mix
> and match??)
>
> Thanks
> Ken K

It really depends on the motherboard. Some will accept anything without a
hint of a problem, others won't boot unless all the ram was hatched from the
same egg.

In article <10e6crkpcgg8h87@corp.supernews.com>, Ken K says...
> I have 256MB DIMM of unbuffered SDRAM, PC133 made by Micron with a
> configuration of CAS2 and 32MB x 64, dual rank module and 16
> components. (Almost sounds like I know what I am talking about but I
> have no idea!) The point is that I want to increase my RAM to 512MB.
>
> The manufacturer of the RAM is Micron. The question that I have is
> which of the above factors need to be exactly matched in order for the
> RAM to work compatibly, which is to say do I need to find exactly the
> same manufacturer model or can I mix and match? (Any recos if I can mix
> and match??)

In an ideal world you should use matched memory but TBH I've seen so
many mixes and matches in my time that its pretty much become a non
issue.

--
Conor

Dumb as a box of rocks...

I agree. In most computers just whack anything in. It will tell you if it
doesn't like it.
BruceM