Important file accidentally deleted any way to recover it

babydangy

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hi,
My wife accidentally deleted a very important file from my computer and emptied the recycling bin in the process. I was wondering if there's any way for me to recover this file. I am not mad at her as it was my fault for not backing it up. If there is a way how do I go about getting it?

Solution
+1 for recuva, great piece of software and free too, just if possible, try and download and install it to another drive, and don't install anything else on the drive the file was deleted from.

The thing with deleted files is they are never really gone in the beginning, just removed from your sight, they are flagged by Windows to say, yes you can overwrite this deleted data if you like, so if you start installing other software or things on that drive, then there's a high chance that deleted file could be overwritten by the file or program you are installing.

USAFRet

Titan

Try Recuva or TestDisk.

babydangy

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

Thank you. I will look into both.

No, Windows file recovery from the trash bin doesn't work like that. That's why you need an aftermarket program to retrieve it. Sounds like a racket doesn't it?

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
+1 for recuva, great piece of software and free too, just if possible, try and download and install it to another drive, and don't install anything else on the drive the file was deleted from.

The thing with deleted files is they are never really gone in the beginning, just removed from your sight, they are flagged by Windows to say, yes you can overwrite this deleted data if you like, so if you start installing other software or things on that drive, then there's a high chance that deleted file could be overwritten by the file or program you are installing.

Solution