Important member of the al-qaeda killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
US-born Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki was in Yemen. He was an important and influential, active member of the Al Qaeda.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-30/al-qaeda-linked-cleric-awlakil-killed3a-yemen/3204274

I think this will remove immediated planned attack and danger for western country. However, the key for long term peace and prosperity will only be realised through constructive peace talk and exchange. This is one of the biggest problem, on par with global warming and peak oil in our life time, and we have not yet found a solution to any of them.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
While this man was, in deed, a "bad guy" who sought to do harm to many, I do not applaud his death. Just one less "bad guy" in the world on a list of many. One down, a bunch to go.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I truly hear you, my friend. This is unfortunately a burden of existence as we know it and has been this way since the dawn of time. There will always be hatred and fear as long as there are people and intolerance.

I think the only thing that could possibly unite humanity would be an invasion of hostile aliens. Not trying to be funny or flippant. Just expressing the unlikelihood of it ever happening and the extremes it would take to get there.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I am pretty sure that won't be an issue. Any alien race with the ability to cross the universe and land on our doorstep will be so far beyond mankind in terms of capability that we wouldn't stand a chance (as Dr. Stephen Hawking has pointed out). Would be like humans vs. hamsters.....

That's one idea, but it is still only an idea. It is not necessarily true.

All it would take is no more than a couple of specialized breakthroughs with an existing technology base to have interstellar travel without highly advanced weapons technology.

I am of mixed thought about this.
The old retired sergeant says: :bounce:

My civil libertarian side is really concerned that we executed a U.S. citizen by Executive Order without due process.

Old sarge is a little, but just a little, ahead - 55:45.

That's one idea, but it is still only an idea. It is not necessarily true.

All it would take is no more than a couple of specialized breakthroughs with an existing technology base to have interstellar travel without highly advanced weapons technology.

Couldn't agree more.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
While I dont think alwaki was a good person and probably should have been locked up (Or killed.......). Its still scary to know that your government has a list and if the deem that you need to go on that list they can kill you as they see fit......

Dont get on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.