Importing Character in BG II ... help..

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi

I have BG Tales of Sword Coast on my desktop and have just installed BGII on
my laptop.

Is there any way I can import my character without installing the original
game on my shiny new laptop... please say yes :)

thanks

Brad

--
To email, substitute nospam with ukretailers

"Brad" <brad@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have BG Tales of Sword Coast on my desktop and have just installed
BGII on
> my laptop.
>
> Is there any way I can import my character without installing the
original
> game on my shiny new laptop... please say yes :)

Yes. There are in fact two ways:

(1) The game of BG1 makes a "FINAL-SAVE" just before you *enter the
Temple of Bhaal* for the final confrontation - so, in fact, it's
before you actually killed Sarevok: but, since you begin the game of
BG2 with only your main character, full hit points and no equipment,
this is pretty much irrelevant.
This will be found in the "save" directory of the game. It will
be named XXXXXXXXX-Final-Save, where XXXXXXXXX is a sequence of
numbers (which does not in fact particularly matter.)

Copy it over to the "save" directory of BG2. (Baldurs Gate 2 does
not actually create this directory at all during the install process:
however, you can either create it manually - make an empty folder and
name it "save". Or, if you're not sure, start a new game with a
complete new character (it doesn't matter what class, race or stats,
you're not keeping this one), and let it get up to the first auto-save
point: at which point the game automatically creates the save
directory to keep the autosave in. Then quit the game - with or
without making an additional save to the autosave that the game itself
made - and you can go looking for the savegame folder and put the
final-save from BG1 next to the first auto-save from BG2.)

Then, once you have your BG1 Final-Save in the correct folder:
Start a new game, pick "Import Character (it's low down on the right
of the screen), then choose to Import Saved Game.

(2) Or, just before the end of BG1, you can create a character file of
your main character alone by choosing "Export Character". This
character will appear in the "Characters" folder within the main BG1
directory, as "XXXXX.chr", where XXXXX is the name that you chose for
it. Copy this over to the "characters" folder of BG2 (NOT the saved
games folder), and then Start New Game - Import Character - Import
Character File, and pick the name of the character file from the list
it gives you.

(In either case, you MAY have to give yourself a character biography,
as the game may fail to provide you with one.)

So, in either case, all you have to move is either the Final-Save
folder from BG1 to BG2, (a few hundred Kb), or the Character File (a
few Kb). Either should fit easily on a floppy disk - or you can burn
it to a CD if you want, but that seems a waste of space.

Jonathan.