Importing MiniDV to PC

shobuddy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
A while ago I imported some of my dad's MiniDVs to my computer using a software that I can't recall. It imported them as mpg files at a file size of about 2.5GB/hour of video. I now have more DVs I want to import and started using Scenalyzer and the .avi format. I'm getting a file size of about 13GB/hour of video. I know nothing about video formats but the .avi is a lot bigger. Visually, I don't see much of a difference on my computer monitor between the two formats so my question is, is .avi and its larger file size better? Does the .mpg file have some quality loss? I'd like to figure out whether I should continue importing with the .avi or find another program to import (I don't see the .mpg format under the Sceanlyzer import options).

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
A while ago I imported some of my dad's MiniDVs to my computer using a software that I can't recall. It imported them as mpg files at a file size of about 2.5GB/hour of video. I now have more DVs I want to import and started using Scenalyzer and the .avi format. I'm getting a file size of about 13GB/hour of video. I know nothing about video formats but the .avi is a lot bigger. Visually, I don't see much of a difference on my computer monitor between the two formats so my question is, is .avi and its larger file size better? Does the .mpg file have some quality loss? I'd like to figure out whether I should continue importing with the .avi or find another program to import (I don't see the .mpg format under the Sceanlyzer import options).

13GB /hour sounds about right, Mini DV only supports standard PAL/NTSC resolutions ( unless it's MiniDV Pro/HD). As for formats .avi encapsulation is pretty much the only supported encapsulation ( out of the box) for windows.

In regard to software supporting import and editing of MiniDVs

Adobe Premiere would be the go solution in Windows
Final Cut Pro can do the same for you on Mac

Reactions: shobuddy

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
In regard to difference between the two file types. The avi file is straight up minidv put into avi container ( which for the sake of simplicity may be considered uncompressed).
The small mpeg-1 files are heavily compressed ( significant loss of detail) this format is not suitable as source to author home DVD's.
mpeg-2 is preserves much more detail, but takes longer to encode, it also happens to be native compression methods of DVD format.

My suggestion is to do straight import from connected miniDV recorder in Premiere or Final Cut and than once you're happy with results save to mpeg-2 if you plan to put it on DVD's or mpeg-4 for everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: shobuddy