Question Impossible BSOD Problem on New Laptop

Aug 25, 2019
Hi, all.
I've recently bought a new laptop from HP - X360 440 G1. (Big mistake).
It came without an OS, only DOS, so I installed Windows 10 64bit no big deal.
After a day of use, Windows crashed with a BSOD and it's been in an impossible loop ever since.
Specs are
i5 8250u
8 GB Ram
256 SSD
UHD 620 Graphics

I erased the SSD from within the BIOS, tried every diagnostic, RAM & Memory show passed tests but I doubt it at this point.
I've tried UEFI, Legacy, MBR & GPT, and every possible combination, the first install finished with no need to change anything in the BIOS, so this is obviously a big problem. I reset everything, updated the BIOS with a bootable USB.

A lot of solutions online were driver problems, but I can't see that as a solution for my problem, as I've wiped the SSD and yet the error persists. It can't have a bad driver if there is no driver on it, and I don't think Windows boots with drivers, I've emptied the PC and it still shows the BSOD.

Now the weird thing is that, when there is no USB, the screen says that there is no OS and I need to install one for the PC to work, but when I put in a bootable usb, no matter if its the HP Cloud Recovery, or Windows, it keeps going back to the BSOD. It was really weird especially with the HP Cloud Recovery since as far as I know it doesn't run on windows for it to factory reset everything.
I can't get to any CMD, or any window, to try to install fresh or delete anything, it just boots up, shows the spinning circles and sometimes the Windows logo and then just freezes for a second and switches to the BSOD. The BSOD Errors range from everything to everything, all the classics.
I can't get to any screen or option, only the BIOS and the BSOD, nothing past it, I can't delete partitions from the Windows installer, can't recover, can't access anything, it's the BIOS and literally nothing else. Just BSOD, Freezes & crashes.

I tried different USBs, different Windows sources, reseated the RAM & SSD, but nothing. I can't install anything, and I've always maintained my own PCs so far, I'm pretty tech savvy and find most solutions online, which is why I'm posting here since this is a mind bender.
I'm really frustrated, I've wasted my whole weekend trying to fix this but it seems that HP's reputation among people is really as they say it is, horrible. I've had a Lenovo laptop for 6 years and never had a problem with it even though it wasn't meant to last, but this lasted a mere day before going down the toilet.

If anyone has had a similar problem please help. Thank you in advance.

If anyone has any solution or suggestions I'd be happy to try them, as I've exhausted my options, and I messaged the seller to return the Laptop, either get a new one or get my money back.
I let Windows crash for 3 times to get the advanced setup option to recover etc. but nothing happens, keeps in the loop and or freezes competely til I shut it down.

I can only count this up to hardware malfuction as I've literally tried everything with no results.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I usually help debug and resolve these BSOD posts - however there is one key thing you mentioned:
If anyone has any solution or suggestions I'd be happy to try them, as I've exhausted my options, and I messaged the seller to return the Laptop, either get a new one or get my money back.

Honestly, I wouldn't fiddle with anything, and would just wait for this. If it is new, there is no point going down the rabbit hole of fixes and potentially making things worse or voiding warranties when it's the responsibility of the seller to ensure they sell you good product.

I honestly would just wait for the return and push it as much as possible!

TRENDING THREADS