Impossible to connect USB devices to Android via host OTG cable

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
I used 4 different programs to check if my Android phone (Alcatel Flint) has OTG capability. They all say it does. I tried two different OTG host cables. Finally, exhausted, I made my own OTG host cable per instructions online (Shorting 2 of the 5 leads in the mini USB plug). And still - nothing. No matter what I plug into my phone - it doesn't sense it. Nothing happens. Again- downloaded a bunch of programs like Total Commander, etc. Same thing - nothing, The phone doesn't detect FAT32 formatted 16GB drives, doesn't detect mice, doesn't detect anything at all. Have I been ripped off with the phone? Do I need a new phone? I honestly feel like throwing it in the garbage. If I can't solve this - that's definitely what I am going to do. One week of wasted time

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
If the OS has had an update since it was made, it may be that OTG support has been bugged. Had this happen to a couple of phones; one lost all USB connectivity except charging, as the updated switched it off by default, and I had to dig deep into the developer settings to switch it on again (took me weeks to figure out).

The spec sheet https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/c3963bfe

The above says it should have OTG.

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014

Thanks for quick response. Actually, I have never updated the system itself just the apps as I have terrible experience with updates. So that's not the reason. It has developer settings enabled. So is USB debugging. I should be able to download from "untrusted" sources as well. What did you do to figure it out in yours? Did you have to root it? I tried to root this one and it failed either at installation stage or application simply stopped.

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014

Where exactly does it say it has OTG?
Just mass storage for USB Doesn't say "host"

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Re: CaptainCretin (hilarious nick BTW) Please don't take offence, I don't doubt your expertise. It's just that I looked at those specs before and I couldn't find where it says USB host or OTG support, that's why I used a bunch of OTG test programs, which do tell me I indeed have OTG software and hardware support. I showed it to the store I bought it at and the clerk told me it was updated to 5.1.1. However - I know I didn't knowingly update it, as I am too worried about things fucking up, so it's a bit weird. So there's that. I wish it were possible to revert. I would be very grateful if you told me how you fixed your OTG issue. Which Developer Settings were they? I decided to do another update hoping it would actually fix the issue (at least this sometimes fixes similar issues in Windows). Hopefully it won't brick the device, but from the looks of it if I can't get it to work might as well get a new phone anyway.... I definitely know it's not the cable, tried it on my customer's phone today, - works OK.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

If you have never updated, then perhaps updating might help; it wouldnt be the first time a phone was shipped with a bugged version of the firmware - just to meet the launch schedule.

On my Xiaomi, repeatedly prodding certain items in the phone status section enables various hidden menu's, as we dont have the same phone, I dont know how to access them on your phone.

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Well.. We don't have the same phone, but as long as it's running Android, your experience still could have helped. It's a shame you didn't want to share it, really. As things are I ended up getting another phone. This sucks, it really shouldn't be this way to have to dish out over $300 because of the function that's supposed to be there but just isn't. I disabled auto update of system in initial setup though to prevent the same problem from re-occurring in the Nougat version.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

I couldnt talk you through it, because I dont use stock Android, I have a Xiaomi running MIUI; which gives totally different menu and screen options; the developer hidden menus are hidden in different places; try searching for references to them for stock Android installs.

Sorry if this isnt what you wanted to hear, and sorry I didnt answer sooner; but sometimes I dont seem to get email alerts for threads I have posted replies to; right now I have a dozen threads unanswered, but only 2 alert emails arrived.