Impossible to dual boot Windows & Fedora ?

pumaile

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Hi, I have three partitions on my HDD. 1st is 134GB on which I have my Windows 8.1 Pro installed, 2nd which is 683GB that I use for my files (no OS there), and 3rd is 112GB which is empty. I want to install Fedora 20 on that empty partition (currently formatted NTFS). I have the Fedora distro burnt on a DVD, I tried to dual boot by myself but when I'm in the menu when I should select the disk to install there is only one option, and that's the whole HDD (1TB). Now I don't want to format the whole HDD I just want Fedora on that 112GB partition, but I don't see any partitions. Help ?

pumaile

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

Thanks again, I get that, but is it going to be installed on the free space without deleting any of my Windows files ? I'm asking this because I've had some bad experience before when I was trying to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu, it deleted everything on the HDD :D

You should be fine. But, installing an OS is always something of an adventure. You have, of course, tested backups of any important data on your hard disk (particularly in light of your previous experience), so just take the plunge and take the risk.

pumaile

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

Why does Linux have to be so complex ? At least make the installation understandable :S
Thanks anyways.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Yes, it should. Unless you tell it to do something to the windows partition it'll leave it alone. It will also tell you where it is installing giving you a last chance to halt.

Installing Linux is no more complicated than installing any other OS. If you currently had a Linux install and were asking about installing Windows, in a dual-boot scenario, on the same disk I would have given you exactly the same advice.