Impressions of a returning player

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

I finally caved in and resubscribed to EQ the other day. I had been
out of it for almost two years. I've always been a casual player;
after 4 years of playing my highest was a level 52 druid. I admit it,
I wanted to get in on the uber dolly.

So I login with my druid, and much to my shock there was someone else
on in my old guild (which had merged with another, and I thought the
old guildname had been disbanded). Also, it was my best in game
friend from "the old days" playing a twinked 41 ranger. We had a fun
little adventure getting each of us the uber dolly. He got jumped by
two drachnids in FV (he forgot some could see invis), and I almost
froze up trying to remember what each of my spells did and where I had
them in my spell slots. I took the brute force path and just nuked
them into submission, remembering to get off a heal to save my buddy.
Graceless, but at least no one died.

So we got our free goodies and chatted until way too late; no xp
gained, but a fun night that made me glad I resubscribed.

The next night, I login with my 40 Enchanter and figure I'll get him
the Phree L00tz. I did a "/w all 38 42" to see where people were
hunting at my level, and only 12 people came back. There was a group
in Lavastorm and a few more in some zone I never heard of, plus a
couple in the bazaar (I'm missing the last four expansions still).
Hrm. I'm close to the Dreadlands, so I decide to go try my old
stomping grounds and solo for a bit. It was weird to be one of only 3
people in DL.

This was about the time that I remembered that I never soloed with my
ENC, and I couldn't remember what good tactics were. I found a
plaguebone camp in the NE corner of DL, and charmed one of them and
set him about beating his friend. Roughly 3 seconds later, charm
broke and they both tore after me. I had been standing too close to
the fight, and wasn't sow'd. I also forgot about my stun spell. Did
I mention I forgot to root the target? Yeah, that too. I fruitlessly
tried to channel a mez through the mess and soon found myself back in
POK. CR time!

I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I figured I'd try the same thing
again. I didn't alter my tactics much, except to back off more (at
this point I had still forgotten I even had a root spell). Smack
smack dead. Corpse #2! I didn't care about the xp loss (being gone
for two years does that), I was just trying (and failing) to get my
game legs back. So I pretty much called it a night with my ENC, and
decided that the game isn't as much fun without friends along (the
same conclusion I came to two years ago).

The third night, last night, I went around to a bunch of my under 10's
that I wanted to keep for sentimental reasons. I found my level 6
paladin in *partial* patchwork, birthdate 3/24/99 (the day I signed
up), and actually got him the uber dolly as well, just for giggles.
At level 6, this shmuck has more than 30 hours /played. Hey, I was
learning the game.

Other random thoughts on my return:

* I love the new sky.

* I'm looking forward to the merger; zones really were depressingly
empty (and I'm sure I no longer know where popular zones are anyway).

* I had a *ton* of fun running around with my low level alts (levels
4-6). Maybe because it kicked up the most nostalgia. *shrug*

* My thoughts were to focus on my enchanter more than my druid, but
I'm having second thoughts now. If I can't find groups, I'll go with
my druid or one of a myriad of mid 20's characters I have. Or maybe
that little level 6 paladin. :)

* Window micromanagement is a pain.

* I saw lots of "new" windows in passing that I'll need to read up on.
Sheesh a lot has changed.

* Sounds like Lanys is having a big farewell bash on Sunday in EC. We
merge with The Seventh (and lose our name) on Monday. I hope to see
some more old friends there.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

The Other John <spamblock@blockit.com> writes:
> So I login with my druid, and much to my shock there was someone else
> on in my old guild (which had merged with another, and I thought the
> old guildname had been disbanded). Also, it was my best in game
> friend from "the old days" playing a twinked 41 ranger. We had a fun
> little adventure getting each of us the uber dolly. He got jumped by
> two drachnids in FV (he forgot some could see invis), and I almost
> froze up trying to remember what each of my spells did and where I had
> them in my spell slots. I took the brute force path and just nuked
> them into submission, remembering to get off a heal to save my buddy.
> Graceless, but at least no one died.

Wait a sec. Did you just use "ranger" and "no one died" in the
same paragraph?

-- Don.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
--
-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 50 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Wizbeau, Wizard 36 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
-- Teviron, Knight 11 on E. Marr
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <7wvf6w5yut.fsf@ca.icynic.com>,
Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote:
>Wait a sec. Did you just use "ranger" and "no one died" in the
>same paragraph?

I'm sure he meant "No one died except the ranger."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 00:47:39 -0400, The Other John
<spamblock@blockit.com> wrote:

>I finally caved in and resubscribed to EQ the other day. I had been
>out of it for almost two years. I've always been a casual player;
>after 4 years of playing my highest was a level 52 druid. I admit it,
>I wanted to get in on the uber dolly.
>
Good thing you came back before the merger, or your characters that
were < 10 would have been deleted.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"the wharf rat" <wrat@panix.com> wrote in message
news:d38mtm$5i4$1@reader1.panix.com...
> In article <7wvf6w5yut.fsf@ca.icynic.com>,
> Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote:
>>Wait a sec. Did you just use "ranger" and "no one died" in the
>>same paragraph?
>
> I'm sure he meant "No one died except the ranger."

If a ranger dies in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does anyone
care?

Bcar
(Bcarpres 19ranger)
 

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
3,943
0
22,780
Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <6grf51tt7rmhl52mnq07dfarjg456povps@4ax.com>, private@aol.com
says...
> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 00:47:39 -0400, The Other John
> <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote:
>
> >I finally caved in and resubscribed to EQ the other day. I had been
> >out of it for almost two years. I've always been a casual player;
> >after 4 years of playing my highest was a level 52 druid. I admit it,
> >I wanted to get in on the uber dolly.
> >
> Good thing you came back before the merger, or your characters that
> were < 10 would have been deleted.

Far more importantly, he has an idea where to find his characters.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

42 <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
> Far more importantly, he has an idea where to find his characters.

Good point. Though even so, players had better know where their servers
are merging (if theirs is the one losing its name) in order to find their
characters afterward.

Speaking of which, I'd like to do a quick doublecheck to make sure
I'm not leaving anything to rot in the mergers, but I don't want to
spend a lot of time at it. I've seen people remark that EQIM is a
fast way to check lots of servers to see where you've got characters
languishing. I've never used EQIM, though. How do I run it? Is it
a separate app I need to install, or is it accessed through the
"chat" button on the login screen, or what?

-- Don.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
--
-- Sukrasisx, Monk 52 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 50 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Wizbeau, Wizard 36 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
-- Teviron, Knight 11 on E. Marr
 

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
3,943
0
22,780
Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <7wd5t38v64.fsf@ca.icynic.com>, don-ns@iCynic.com says...
> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
> > Far more importantly, he has an idea where to find his characters.
>
> Good point. Though even so, players had better know where their servers
> are merging (if theirs is the one losing its name) in order to find their
> characters afterward.
>
> Speaking of which, I'd like to do a quick doublecheck to make sure
> I'm not leaving anything to rot in the mergers, but I don't want to
> spend a lot of time at it. I've seen people remark that EQIM is a
> fast way to check lots of servers to see where you've got characters
> languishing. I've never used EQIM, though. How do I run it? Is it
> a separate app I need to install, or is it accessed through the
> "chat" button on the login screen, or what?
>

Separate application. You should be able to find it on the SOE site
somewhere.