Improve 212 evo performance?

Xplow_

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Hey, i recently discovered that the 212 evo just leaks a lot of air via the top and bottom, with very little to none making it through the fins https://imgur.com/a/tJe3ZY2
i'm running a 4.8ghz oc on a 7600k and getting ~ 65C max temp on aida64 stress test (using 2 corsair sp120).
I'm ok with that temp but if it can get lower by just sealing the gaps that will be great, has anyone tried something like that?
The fins are clean, so dirt is not the reason for it being "clogged"

Never tried it, can’t see any risk in trying it. My thoughts are this may or may not improve things as you will be increasing air pressure behind the fan and don’t know how that will impact the efficiency of the fan. Also the gap at the bottom is probably helping airflow close to the motherboard and components.

The sp120 while nice quiet fans, do not have the air flow of the original fan.
Sp120 =37.8-62.7cfm depending on model.
The original fan was 83cfm, so cooling was reduced with the fan replacements.
The overhang of the fan is to provide cooling for motherboard VRM components.
I got best results by sliding the fan as low as possible on intake side and covering the sides and top with aluminum DUCT tape. forcing all air through the fins, none escaping from the sides or top, but allowing the bottom to cool the VRM on my motherboard.
When the original fans died I replaced them with Shark 120mm 83cfm fans in push/ pull.

The key to good cooling with any cooler is to supply it with a good source of intake airflow.

What is your case and fan arrangement ??

One common mistake is to use too much paste which will act as an insulator.
A small rice sized drop will spread under heat and pressure.

The hyper 212 is very popular, mainly because of the price.
It is not one of the best 120mm towers around.

In the end, your temperatures are very normal and not bothersome.
You really need to change nothing.

Xplow_

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Just taped the gaps and... -5C, and now it's the ugliest cooler on the face of earth. I was not unsatiesfied with the old temps, just wanted to see if it was possible to improve the performance. The Cooler Master fan died a long time ago (around 8 months from buying the cooler, but already out of warranty), it was ugly and ULTRA loud, these sp120s look amazing, are super silent (though they're the performance edition and not the silent) and were a quick solution for all the problems the original had.
Also, it only hits 65C while stress testing with an ambient temp of around 25-30 C, never while gaming or exporting pictures in lightroom