[SOLVED] Improve PC performance.

Feb 6, 2021
Hi all, I am new to the forum and am looking to improve the performance of my PC for gaming. I am running a B150M Grenade motherboard, I5 6600K cpu, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD for Windows and a 500GB HDD. GPU is a GTX1070. I seem to be limited somewhere but don't know what to upgrade to get the best out of my setup. Any advice would be appreciated.

Solution
The PSU is a TX850M. I was looking at higher FPS and guessed a new motherboard may be needed. Is it worth overclocking the 6600K on a new board or upgrading the CPU as well? Where do I look to increase game settings? I was thinking about replacing the HDD with an SSD.
For about $350 you can get a new B560 motherboard, intel 11th gen. rocket lake 11400F six core w/hyper threading cpu and a 2x8GB set of 3200MHz CL16 RAM in about 6 weeks from now when that new line of cpu's is released (late March).

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...e-date-specifications-performance-all-we-know

This is a review of the 10th gen 10400F .. expect its successor to perform even better due to improved IPC and native...
What resolution and Hz is your monitor?
What exact psu do you have?
Is your RAM 2x8gb and what speed is it?
In the games you play is the gpu usage 100% and how many cpu cores are at or close to 100% usage?
What are you wanting, higher FPS, higher game settings or both?

Feb 6, 2021
Hi thanks for responding. I have 2 samsung monitors 144HZ. A Corsair 850 PSU. 2 x 8gb ram ddr4 2133. I believe 2133 is the highest the board can take but I may be wrong. The GPU never gets close to 100% but the CPU tops out at 100. Not sure how many cores. Temp is always below 80. Frame rate tops out at 170 during test. Unsure how this performance is to be honest. Its my sons computer and he wants to spend some of his Xmas money on upgrading it.

So what are you looking for? Higher/more stable FPS or higher game settings?

Higher/more stable FPS will require a new cpu and motherboard, ideally you would also upgrade the RAM as 2133mhz is the slowest DDR4, ideally you want 3000-3600mhz on a modern setup.

If just higher game settings then what happens now when you turn up game settings? Your gpu is not being fully utilised so there should be headroom for turning up game settings without loosing FPS.

What model PSU is it? Corsair do many ranging from not really suited for gaming PC’s up to some of the best available.

I have 2 ssd , one for my operating system and programs that dont ask you where you want to install them , some dont give you the chance to choose they just install on main drive.
I use my larger 2nd ssd for my seam client and all other games plus things that i can get the choice of where i want to install them.

A TIP ... go to system configuration/start up tab , the only thing i have in their is the realtek hd audio manager , my kaspersky anti virus starts at boot up without an entry in their.
If you have items running in the background from start up that you dont need or use they with just use some of your resources that could help games run a bit better

Feb 6, 2021
The PSU is a TX850M. I was looking at higher FPS and guessed a new motherboard may be needed. Is it worth overclocking the 6600K on a new board or upgrading the CPU as well? Where do I look to increase game settings? I was thinking about replacing the HDD with an SSD.

That’s a good psu. There is no point in buying a new motherboard just to hopefully gain a small increase in performance. At this point a new cpu/motherboard/RAM is the best path but more expensive if you want higher FPS, your results show the cpu is the limiting factor. Buying anything for a 5 generation old platform is going to give very limited improvement for the money, it would be better saved for a new platform.

Nearly all games have options that allow you to change display/graphics settings. Exactly where depends on the game but they should be easy to find.

For about $350 you can get a new B560 motherboard, intel 11th gen. rocket lake 11400F six core w/hyper threading cpu and a 2x8GB set of 3200MHz CL16 RAM in about 6 weeks from now when that new line of cpu's is released (late March).

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...e-date-specifications-performance-all-we-know

This is a review of the 10th gen 10400F .. expect its successor to perform even better due to improved IPC and native support of 3200MHz RAM.

Solution