[SOLVED] Improve PC

rickwhoo

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
My Son has this PC, Cyberpower GMA490 3.6 GHz AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Quad-Core 8GB DDR4 | 2TB 7200 rpm HDD, Integrated Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics DVI, Windows 10 Home (64-Bit).

I put in a MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OCV1 Graphics Card

What can I get him to improve this PC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
More memory and a SSD wouldn't hurt. With the memory though your better off buying at 2x8gb kit (@3000/3200) and selling the current memory as mixing kits doesn't always work. As for the SSD you'll want to do a clean install of Windows 10 onto it and use the 2TB HDD for storage however this will improve the general performance of the system. Gaming doesn't have much of an impact with a SSD but could help lower load times.

WildCard999

Titan
More memory and a SSD wouldn't hurt. With the memory though your better off buying at 2x8gb kit (@3000/3200) and selling the current memory as mixing kits doesn't always work. As for the SSD you'll want to do a clean install of Windows 10 onto it and use the 2TB HDD for storage however this will improve the general performance of the system. Gaming doesn't have much of an impact with a SSD but could help lower load times.

Reactions: rickwhoo
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Since you already put in a GTX 1060 video card, do you mean it already had that, or that he was running on the integrated graphics before, and you just recently added the GTX 1060.

If it was just recently added, then your son should try it out and see if things have improved. It's possible that it makes a big difference on some games, and not much difference on others.

If he could give a list of what games he plays, which ones now play better, and which ones don't, that would help.

Also useful:
  • exact brand and model of the power supply
  • exact brand and model of the monitor (so we can determine its resolution, refresh rate, if it has any adaptive sync, etc)

bignastyid

Titan
Oops, I was thinking the 1060 was the upgrade missed the "I put in a" part, due to the weird choice of font sizing(which i just fixed) and the vega 11 being included in the specs just assumed the 1060 was the original upgrade idea .

In that case a r5 2600 or 3600 would be a decent upgrade, since a 1060 is installed and some modern games are eating quad cores.

bignastyid

Titan
Getting a better CPU could help with those FPS dips but the memory could be problematic as well. 8gb is kind of lacking nowadays but if the prebuilt only has, for example, a single 8gb stick @2400mhz then that will affect gameplay significantly and will be part of the cause for the FPS dips.
True would not be surprised if I buypower put in a single stick of ddr4 2400 hamstringing a Ryzen rig.

WildCard999

Titan
The memory should be upgraded anyways, sell that 8gb stick and buy a 2x8gb @3200mhz kit for $60. This should help with the dips and is cheaper then buying a new CPU right now, just be sure to enable A/XMP in the BIOS so it's running at the correct speed. If anything I'd try to hold off a CPU upgrade until Ryzen 4th gen in 2020.

rickwhoo

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
Ok, I ordered him this CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 DRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) and
MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT DirectX 12 RX 5700 XT GAMING X 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card...

Should I now get better fans? His box only has one on each side and I'm thinking to replace them with ones with lighting. Maybe getting 3 fans???