News Improved Windows 11 Compatibility Checker Possibly Coming Today

gtarthur

Commendable
Jun 24, 2021
Just ran the health check again today and it updated itself. Now when I run it, the error clearly says that my CPU is not supported. I returned to the requirements web page, and noticed the supported processors link. On that page there is now an entry for Windows 11. There are many older Atom and Celeron processors listed, but my Intel i7-6500U is not listed? WTF? This PC has TPM 2, UEFI secure boot, and meets or exceeds all other requirements. It can run Hyper-V with no issues, also runs Docker for Windows, WSL 2.0, and Visual Studio Community, among other fairly heavy apps. I guess I'll now have to track down what esoteric instruction set entry is missing from this processor, but is somehow present in the Atom and Celeron CPUs? Sound like maybe someone at MS has not done due diligence in testing Intel CPUs that may be in use by those of us with 2nd PC's used for Windows Insider testing.

Reactions: maik80
D

Deleted member 14196

Microsoft need to set up a support page that shows instructions for every Motherboard makers BIOS on how to turn on TPM or its still going to cause lots of people to upgrade that don't need to.

We can do it here but not everyone comes here (Not sure why, we lovely people)
:D

Colif

Win 11 Master
There are consumer protection laws in some countries that should protect against companies forcing users to upgrade when there is a simple solution that removes that need.
Not telling users that do have compatible systems that changing one setting can allow an upgrade seems deceptive to me.

If the media makes enough stink about it, they will have to do something.

Makaveli

Splendid
Microsoft need to set up a support page that shows instructions for every Motherboard makers BIOS on how to turn on TPM or its still going to cause lots of people to upgrade that don't need to.

That is not gonna happen they will expect the motherboard vendor to do that.

The support page will be hosted on the motherboard vendor's site.

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
The tool says I can't upgrade because my system doesn't support Secure Boot.

I just checked the bios and Secure Boot is enabled (with UEFI mode enabled).

Glad to see it's working now.

Jun 25, 2021
Microsoft need to set up also a support page that shows instructions for what we have to do if manufacturers don't comply to the rules stated by MS since 2016 regarding TPM.

As I reported in the other news:
In July 2016 Microsoft had updated the minimum requirements required by Windows 10 as can be seen in the following document published by Microsoft:
https://download.microsoft.com/download/c/1/5/c150e1ca-4a55-4a7e-94c5-bfc8c2e785c5/Windows 10 Minimum Hardware Requirements.pdf

it's clearly indicated:
"3.7 Trusted Platform Module (TPM)As of July 28, 2016, all new device models, lines or series must implement and be in compliance with the International Standard ISO/IEC 11889:2015 or the Trusted Computing Group TPM 2.0 Library and a component which implements the TPM 2.0 must be present and enabled by default from this effective date."

From that moment, July 2016, every computer sold to the public as "Windows 10 compatible" (also through the use of the appropriate logo) had to have this requirement otherwise it was not possible to consider it "Windows 10 compatible". As indicated in the document, exceptions were possible for OEMs in particular cases but only regarding whether the TPM was enabled by default, but not whether the functionality was present.
True or not? Because I can't enable TPM on my 2020 system!

Unfortunately, some manufacturers have violated these updated requirements from Microsoft, and now the problem is falling on the unaware buyers. Some manufacturers declared and affixed "Windows 10 compatible" logos after July 28, 2016 even without specifically inserting the TPM option in the BIOS or whatever else was needed.
In my specific case my product (Zotac ZBOX CA621) was launched on the market in 2020!!! 4 years after Microsoft had updated the minimum requirements, the product was sold with the "Windows 10 compatible" logo, it has a ryzen 3200U embedded (CPU included in the list of Windows 11 compatible CPU as published on the Microsoft site: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors) but for some strange reason is at the moment impossible to activate Ryzen fTPM on it in the BIOS. And technical support already contacted refuse to do something about this...
Microsoft...what we have to do...some support for us against these manufacturers and their improprieties?

Last edited:

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
About three years ago I purchased a computer from Dell with Windoze 10 Home already installed. I have not tried everything that @t.kolson has, yet running the health checker I am told that the CPU is not supported. About the only thing I can say is horse hockey. My girlfriend mainly uses the computer to check emails and bank statements using a web browser, it will be easy to switch her to Linux (most likely Mint).

Looks as the story forgot to include a link to the health checker so here it is. https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp

Edited because the link icon in the editor failed to add the link.

Last edited:
Reactions: ezst036

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

No, they don't. It's not their responsibility. It's up to the Mainboard or OEM PC supplier/provider. Does MS provide YOU the list of ram that works with your motherboard? or CPU? Or SSD?

USAFRet

Titan
No, they don't. It's not their responsibility. It's up to the Mainboard or OEM PC supplier/provider. Does MS provide YOU the list of ram that works with your motherboard? or CPU? Or SSD?
If they want people to upgrade to 11 in the same numbers we upgraded to 10, they need to make it FAR more seamless, and don't kill off systems that are 6 months old.

I have a little Beelink GTR-Pro. Ryzen 3550H, bought last fall.
Running the compatibility tool shows it as a No.

I could jump through whatever hoops are needed to go through the BIOS and see if there is a firmware change to the TPM situation for this. You could as well.
However, for millions of users out in the wild...that is speaking Greek.

We've already seen people here who have possibly screwed up their BIOS or OS in trying to change things manually.

Reactions: velocityg4
We've already seen people here who have possibly screwed up their BIOS or OS in trying to change things manually.
This. It has been one day. One day and at least several threads in the forum about that problem. Remember how the forum looked like when people were buying 7th gen Intel CPU with 6th gen motherboard and it didn't work? Now we'll get the same mess again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
problem i see is most motherboard makers don't update bios via windows update which is a good thing in many ways, but it means there is no way to automatically enable TPM in bios for many boards.

OEM like Dell and HP update bios via applications. I know some makers have them but I don't trust updating bios via windows.

The motherboard makers are the ones who need to show on FAQ about how to make the changes in each board that can do it, but the education of the mass of the public is left to who? it falls into a hole if MS don't form a group and make a website that shows how to do it on a number of boards. Only pro active people who know anything will look on mb faq.

MS needs to coordinate with hardware makers if they want this launch to work.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
problem i see is most motherboard makers don't update bios via windows update which is a good thing in many ways, but it means there is no way to automatically enable TPM in bios for many boards.

OEM like Dell and HP update bios via applications. I know some makers have them but I don't trust updating bios via windows.
Dell's Command Update will download the new BIOS, but it won't apply it. The system is rebooted to perform the actual update outside of Windows. Dell BIOS update downloads will also sometimes come through Windows update.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
"Gotta have it NOW!"
(or so a lot of people think)
People are stressing over Microsoft copying Apple by moving the start menu to the middle of the screen (it can be moved back to the left if you want). I don't know if that was the case, but throwing out your whole system to upgrade OS's would definitely make MS more Apple-like.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Dell's Command Update will download the new BIOS, but it won't apply it. The system is rebooted to perform the actual update outside of Windows. Dell BIOS update downloads will also sometimes come through Windows update.
i haven't ever run the other BIOS update apps but I expect they all need at least 1 restart to install the bios, that goes without saying.

i don't care about start menu, not like I spend all day staring at it. Other things like the dumbed down taskbar bug me a little more. I will put it to left pretty fast. Turn off widgets, otherwise known as News & Interests.

Console is pretty cool, combines CMD & Powershell into the same application.

No kidding, I was looking at that today and ran across a forum post that mentioned that EVERY Asus motherboard has TPM either as a physical module, or virtual secured software module, and I was like... yeah... don't remember seeing that on my motherboard, nowhere in the promo materials, nothing. Looked up my mobo documentation ctrl+f for TPM, and there was ONE mention under a poorly explained setting that said "turning on this feature can enable TPM functionality"... like... can? and more importantly how?
So on an ASUS mobo in BIOS/UEFI go to Advanced settings -> PCH-FW -> Enable, and this will give you all of your TPM settings. Then you can enable TPM (intel) or fTPM (AMD), save, restart, win10 detects and installs the driver automatically, and then you are good to go!

So easy, but one cryptic mention of the feature, and apparently it is super common, but just not documented well.

Microsoft need to set up also a support page that shows instructions for what we have to do if manufacturers don't comply to the rules stated by MS since 2016 regarding TPM.

As I reported in the other news:
In July 2016 Microsoft had updated the minimum requirements required by Windows 10 as can be seen in the following document published by Microsoft:
https://download.microsoft.com/download/c/1/5/c150e1ca-4a55-4a7e-94c5-bfc8c2e785c5/Windows 10 Minimum Hardware Requirements.pdf

it's clearly indicated:
"3.7 Trusted Platform Module (TPM)As of July 28, 2016, all new device models, lines or series must implement and be in compliance with the International Standard ISO/IEC 11889:2015 or the Trusted Computing Group TPM 2.0 Library and a component which implements the TPM 2.0 must be present and enabled by default from this effective date."

From that moment, July 2016, every computer sold to the public as "Windows 10 compatible" (also through the use of the appropriate logo) had to have this requirement otherwise it was not possible to consider it "Windows 10 compatible". As indicated in the document, exceptions were possible for OEMs in particular cases but only regarding whether the TPM was enabled by default, but not whether the functionality was present.
True or not? Because I can't enable TPM on my 2020 system!

Unfortunately, some manufacturers have violated these updated requirements from Microsoft, and now the problem is falling on the unaware buyers. Some manufacturers declared and affixed "Windows 10 compatible" logos after July 28, 2016 even without specifically inserting the TPM option in the BIOS or whatever else was needed.
In my specific case my product (Zotac ZBOX CA621) was launched on the market in 2020!!! 4 years after Microsoft had updated the minimum requirements, the product was sold with the "Windows 10 compatible" logo, it has a ryzen 3200U embedded (CPU included in the list of Windows 11 compatible CPU as published on the Microsoft site: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors) but for some strange reason is at the moment impossible to activate Ryzen fTPM on it in the BIOS. And technical support already contacted refuse to do something about this...
Microsoft...what we have to do...some support for us against these manufacturers and their improprieties?
You totally have one, and it is probably partially enabled already.
Bios -> Boot tab -> Secure Boot Menu
From there you can turn things on and get things going... Depending on how you set things up, you may lose access to what you have on the drive when you turn things on and may need to create a UEFI compatible install media to reinstall Windows... so proceed with caution? Looks like a very basic Bios setup, so it may not warn you about much, or what will break things for you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
secure boot doesn't enable tpm, i had secure boot on long before i turned ftpm on.

turning secure boot on if system set up for legacy boot might lead to pc not booting or in some cases, just ignoring secure boot and working anyway, it seems hit or miss what happens. But in general, secure boot matches GPT/UEFI boot method so could rely on user clean installing or running MBR2GPT and converting current install. Maybe you need UEFI boot set up for tpm to function, I don't know about that.

Dalamar6

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Secure Boot and TPM suck, TPM doesn't even protect your encryption key from attackers since attack methods have long been known. Plus, since it's basically a black box blob, you can pretty much assume it's a backdoor, which is likely why it's banned.

This is a bunch of nonsense, especially considering TPM is ILLEGAL in Russia and China.
You can pretty much expect them to retract this requirement. Definitely by 10 EoL (2025)

Man, I miss when UEFI wasn't a thing. Microsoft is evil.