Question Improving After Effects Performance: Upgrading from AMD iGPU to Another iGPU or CPU.

Mar 4, 2023
Hello, hope you are doing well.

The current build is:
Motherboard: B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 PRO 4650GE - 6 Cores (iGPU)
GPU: Palit Nvidia GeForce® GTX 1650 - 4GB
RAM: XPG SPECTRIX D60G RGB - 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-20-20

Main uses:
InDesign, Illustrator.

Context:
Both software work fine on iGPU (Which has Radeon Graphics 7) even before I put the Nvidia GPU.
Currently, After Effects has been added to the list of primary applications. Although the program's overall performance is satisfactory, the preview performance tends to be sluggish and the audio in videos may experience slowdowns.

So I decided to add 16 GB of ram from another PC that has the same rams I have (So I will have now 32 GB), and buy a new CPU.
Note: The nature of videos in After Effects is not heavy complex videos. The videos are simple and mostly they are text based videos.

The choice:
I went to PcPartPicker to see compatible CPUs with the motherboard, but I don't know whether to buy AMD CPU with integrated GPU or not!
I could buy AMD Ryzen 9 5900X or AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, but my guess that if I bought iGPU would be good so that it supports GTX 1650 performance.
But the best iGPU on the list is AMD Ryzen 7 5700G - 8 Cores, which is not a big difference from the current iGPU!

What are your opinions?

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to avoid getting a processor that's too powerful for your overall build, i.e, try and balance the build . You're also going to need a BIOS update before you can drop in a Ryzen 5000 series APU or processor. I'd side with the Ryzen 9's only if you're going to drop in a more beefier discrete GPU into your build for your work/tasks.

My opinion? I would look into a Ryzen 7 at best or a Ryzen 5 5600, then replace the discrete GPU to something a little higher up the order, like a RTX2060(if you can find one brand new).

Reactions: light0s
Mar 4, 2023
Indeed, this is a great point.(y) 🆒
What made me focus on CPU is that it's more important than GPU in our case in After Effects. Right? There are no 3D elements that depends on GPU anyway.
I could be like a fixed on a specific use, but this is due to that the PC is for work only, and this is the work's nature.

Anyway, according to what you suggest, It looks like I need to increase my budget.
I see that the price of RTX 2060 is near to RTX 3050 (Here in my country). So I could replace the current GPU with RTX 3050 and the APU with AMD Ryzen 7 5700G for example? and avoid X CPU variants in my case?

Last edited: