Improving my configuration

simonboost

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hello Tom's Hardware forum,

I've been reading Tom's reviews and articles for a while now, but I've never posted something on this forum.
Now that I got my hands on a better processor, I've been wondering what can I do with it.
I've only installed Grand Theft Auto IV until now and to be honest it hasn't run very smoothly no matter how much I lower the settings. Can you fellow forum keyboard mates help me with it.
This is my configuration so far:

Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe) OC-ed at 2.7 GHz(but CPU-Z shows that it runs on 1.8 GHz pretty much all the time) with 4 MB cache memory with stock factory fan on top of it;
Nvidia Geforce 210 at 512 MB with 767 MB shared memory(that's 1279 in total) running at stock speeds(that's because I tried OV-ing to the max: 1178 MHz Graphics clock; 480 MHz Memory clock and 2804 MHz processor's clock, but I saw no improvements with that done);
MSI G31TM-P21 Motherboard with newest version of BIOS on it.
2x 1GB DDR2 RAM Memories(A-Data and Kingmaxs) running at 333 MHz and 400 MHz, respectively, with stock clocks at 5-5-5-15/18(that's because I am rookie at OC-ing RAMs)
Samsung HD080HJ 80GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s and a
branded name(I can open the case now) Power supply unit covering 400 Wats.

So, I am open toward any ideas how to improve my system so it can run smoother, that is, exept buying new stuff, because I am short on cash and unemployed at the time of posting. Also I accept any suggesting about what games should I get for myself, because GTA is getting kind of boring.

GeForce 210 is an excellent video card for watching movies . Its gaming potential is pretty much ZERO

What is the processor you have ?
What operating system are you using?
What is the resolution of the monitor you are using ?
What is your budget ?

Your best improvement will come from updating the graphics card , but without the information I have asked for its impossible to make a recommendation

simonboost

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

The processor is listed above, its Intel's Core 2 Duo E6600;
The operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit;
I mostly use 1024x768 for gaming if thats your question;
If its not, the resolution is 1280x1024(because its not wide screen, its a normal 19" monitor);
About the budget, I said before, I am not able to upgrade the parts, I asking is there any way I can overclock the items I already have?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Dude I am afraid there is next to nothing you can do with that configuration that is going to boost GTA performance. Your GPU does not have enough Video Memory as well as being to slow. Your RAM is barely adequate as is your CPU. GTA 4 is very resource hungry. Sorry but your problem requires cash.

You dont need more RAM while you have a 32 bit version of windows .

The only fix is a new graphics card . You may be able to get a second hand card quite cheaply when you do have some budget to work with .
Till then there is no way to make an improvement

simonboost

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Thanks for the advices everyone. I knew I was screwed from the start with this configuration, but I needed a confirmation and now that I got it, I will save for a new PC.