[SOLVED] Improving performance on 2013 Build

Aug 26, 2020
Hi all,

I have been running my setup since 2013 and overall it's still doing great, but it's beginning to struggle with more recent releases like Witcher, Far Cry, Warzone, ... :geek:
I'm looking for anything that may slightly improve performance on my current setup without spending mad dollars.

Build :
  • MOBO Z87 Sabertooth
  • CPU I5-4670K OC@4500MHz
  • RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB @1600MHz
  • GPU RTX2070Super AORUS OC@2100MHz (Recently upgraded)
  • SSD Samsung 860 EVO
  • OS Windows 10
I feel like I have already done what I can to maximize the performance of this rig, but I hope there's still something I may have overlooked :unsure:

My CPU and GPU should be overclocked to their full potential as I have hit a huge voltage jump wall on this chip.
Recently I have done a complete reinstall and basicly made sure there's no bloatware left.
And I have removed any (windows) apps and services that I never use.
Obviously clean of dust.

Now I'm aware there is no magical solution, but any tip that could even get me a 0.001% improvement is welcome!

Solution
I had a 4670k @ 4.3GHz until a year ago, the cpu was definitely the limiting factor in newer games. To do any meaningful upgrade is going to require a new cpu/motherboard/RAM combination.
Aug 26, 2020
I had a 4670k @ 4.3GHz until a year ago, the cpu was definitely the limiting factor in newer games. To do any meaningful upgrade is going to require a new cpu/motherboard/RAM combination.
I have come to that same conclusion but that's money I'm not willing to spend at this time

Jul 12, 2020
I have come to that same conclusion but that's money I'm not willing to spend at this time
You should upgrade your ram, cpu and motherboard but since you're not willing to spend any money at this time you can try optimizing your in-game settings but other than that unfortunately, I don't think there is anything else you can do to improve performance at this point since you have overclocked your cpu and gpu, renistalled windows and removed bloatware.

Last edited:
Your motherboard supports a I7-4790K which sells for about $180 used on ebay.
i5-4690K might sell for $60.
The net $120 might be worth it if your games need more threads.

Have you connected your ssd to one if the intel sata ports?
The 2 asmedia ports will not be as fast.

Aug 26, 2020
Your motherboard supports a I7-4790K which sells for about $180 used on ebay.
i5-4690K might sell for $60.
The net $120 might be worth it if your games need more threads.

Have you connected your ssd to one if the intel sata ports?
The 2 asmedia ports will not be as fast.
I'm not at all a fan of buying used parts, specially GPU/CPU... but I might consider it this time o_O
A new I7-4790K still goes for €375

TRENDING THREADS