Question Improving performance

vSTEWARTx

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
I am currently getting average of 150-170fps on cs go with ryzen 5 2600x stock cooling and rtx 2060

If I improve cooling how many more FPS would I get? I thought I would have got a stable 300 with this build initially

vSTEWARTx

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Cooling wont get you more FPS unless you are thermal throttling which I doubt.

CSGO is a heavily CPU reliant game and what you are getting is about right for your CPU.
I appreciate the fast response, i thought it may have been higher as my friend has the same CPU and gets 200+. I didnt ask too much if he had better cooling etc or if had manually overclocked it. But if that is the expected FPS i can relax hahaha, My first PC build so thought i may have messed something up!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
CSGO uses only 2-3 threads, so is highly dependent on single thread performance and anything that boosts that is a benefit.

It's also highly dependent on the map. If running office, I get 300fps, it's an original map so quite simple. That drops significantly in Dust II as that's a user map that has considerably more to it.

As to cooling, it depends on the temps being run. Ryzens boost according to voltages and temps, so will downclock if you start hitting into the 80's and not boost as high. There's also ram speeds and type to consider, as that'll affect Ryzens too, if you have a set running 2933MHz/C16 and your bud is running 3200MHz/C14, there's going to be a difference.

Then there's RTX and DLSS, neither of which ate supported in CSGO. Your bud might also have Xbox DVR and gamebar disabled etc.

So it's not always going to be an equitable thing between 2 pc's, even if running the same cpu as outside influences can and will change things.

Reactions: vSTEWARTx

vSTEWARTx

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
CSGO uses only 2-3 threads, so is highly dependent on single thread performance and anything that boosts that is a benefit.

It's also highly dependent on the map. If running office, I get 300fps, it's an original map so quite simple. That drops significantly in Dust II as that's a user map that has considerably more to it.

As to cooling, it depends on the temps being run. Ryzens boost according to voltages and temps, so will downclock if you start hitting into the 80's and not boost as high. There's also ram speeds and type to consider, as that'll affect Ryzens too, if you have a set running 2933MHz/C16 and your bud is running 3200MHz/C14, there's going to be a difference.

Then there's RTX and DLSS, neither of which ate supported in CSGO. Your bud might also have Xbox DVR and gamebar disabled etc.

So it's not always going to be an equitable thing between 2 pc's, even if running the same cpu as outside influences can and will change things.
Thank you very much for the reply! :)