Question Improving slow Excel performance

Ricky55

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
Hi guys

My boss at work was experiencing slow performance with his old system in Excel 365, using Windows 10.

I've just built him a new PC and it's still just as slow. The new system is a 12th Gen i7 with 64gb RAM, decent SSD and quality Asus mobo.

The only part that isn't that great is the GPU, its just an Nvidia GeForce 710 which I figured would be fine for Excel etc.

It's just really slow to navigate the file and quite slow to open, it's a 49mb file. I have an iMac at home with only 8gb RAM and this plays with the file so it doesn't point to the file.

We are running the latest version of Windows 11.

I was just wondering if improving the GPU would help.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ricky

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys

My boss at work was experiencing slow performance with his old system in Excel 365, using Windows 10.

I've just built him a new PC and it's still just as slow. The new system is a 12th Gen i7 with 64gb RAM, decent SSD and quality Asus mobo.

The only part that isn't that great is the GPU, its just an Nvidia GeForce 710 which I figured would be fine for Excel etc.

It's just really slow to navigate the file and quite slow to open, it's a 49mb file. I have an iMac at home with only 8gb RAM and this plays with the file so it doesn't point to the file.

We are running the latest version of Windows 11.

I was just wondering if improving the GPU would help.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ricky
Slow to open ... is the file accessed on local storage or is it network accessed?

Ricky55

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
Do you think it's worth updating the GPU driver? I'm just using the default Windows one. I normally install the latest from Nvidia but I thought with it just being a basic card the default would be ok.