Question Improvised cintiq from intuos pro l and laptop display

Mar 12, 2019
Hello

I want to improvise a monitor tablet by sticking a laptop display on top of my intuos pro l. I want to use a controller board to connect the screen to the pc.

I was curious if writing with a pen/stylus directly on the display can be damaging. Initially I was thinking of using a non-reflective foil, but I don’t know if that’s enough protection.

Another option is to purchase a touchscreen kit just for the purpose of protection.

I pressed my wacom stylus on my monitor and it has some strange effects (changes color on pressure).

Do you think a touchscreen would guarantee I can draw safely on the display?

Thank you

This is just about the most random thing I've ever read.

That said it is kind of interesting, but I don't think it'd work.

To begin with, LCD displays without a glass cover can be damaged by pressure. If you apply too much pressure to the substrate you can damage the ability of the screen to produce colors. Additionally, most LCDs include a layer of shielding that would likely block the fields that graphics tablets use for tracking and powering the pen. Add to that a loss of accuracy even if the field permeates the display and you wouldn't have a good time of it even if it did work. Also, adding another layer with a touch screen kit, that is basically a capacitive glass and you'll further degrade pen tracking. So, while the glass would give you a nice hard surface to use, you'd have tracking issues.

You'd be better off just getting a purpose built device.

There are less expensive brands than WACOM for graphics tablets with integrated screens like: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=XP-Pen+A...6497198398059177-21&tag=georiot-us-default-20

There is also the Surface line from Microsoft, specifically the Surface Go with the pen input: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Surface+Go&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Either of those options costs money, but will work much better than what you are proposing, which is fraught with potential issues. That doesn't mean you can't give it a shot, but I have deep reservations as to whether you'd get a good, or even workable, experience out of it.

Mar 12, 2019
This is just about the most random thing I've ever read.

That said it is kind of interesting, but I don't think it'd work.

To begin with, LCD displays without a glass cover can be damaged by pressure. If you apply too much pressure to the substrate you can damage the ability of the screen to produce colors. Additionally, most LCDs include a layer of shielding that would likely block the fields that graphics tablets use for tracking and powering the pen. Add to that a loss of accuracy even if the field permeates the display and you wouldn't have a good time of it even if it did work. Also, adding another layer with a touch screen kit, that is basically a capacitive glass and you'll further degrade pen tracking. So, while the glass would give you a nice hard surface to use, you'd have tracking issues.

You'd be better off just getting a purpose built device.

There are less expensive brands than WACOM for graphics tablets with integrated screens like: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=XP-Pen+A...6497198398059177-21&tag=georiot-us-default-20

There is also the Surface line from Microsoft, specifically the Surface Go with the pen input: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Surface+Go&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Either of those options costs money, but will work much better than what you are proposing, which is fraught with potential issues. That doesn't mean you can't give it a shot, but I have deep reservations as to whether you'd get a good, or even workable, experience out of it.

Thank you for the reply. It was very informative. I admit I went a bit far with touch screen idea, I guess I could just use a thin glass.

You can draw over the display. I don’t know what to say about the tracking. I hope that as long as the display matches the active area of the tablet, that is being over it, at the same ratio, it should be fine.

I don’t really want another tablet. A 15.6 inch display from wacom is somewhat more expensive then my intuos pro large. Plus I have an extra display I don’t have to purchase.

It is an idea worth trying. I'd be interested in knowing if it turns out well or not. I can think of a few ways that it might work out, especially seeing as you've tried and it seems to work through the display. A thin pane of glass might just be exactly what you need. Or maybe an acrylic... but that might have a problem with being a little too sticky... and scratching too easily.

Although, the tracking would be the main issue here. I don't know of any WACOM products that are 15.6" in a proper ratio, which means that you'll be in a pickle when it comes to mapping it properly to the screen.

Mar 12, 2019
It is an idea worth trying. I'd be interested in knowing if it turns out well or not. I can think of a few ways that it might work out, especially seeing as you've tried and it seems to work through the display. A thin pane of glass might just be exactly what you need. Or maybe an acrylic... but that might have a problem with being a little too sticky... and scratching too easily.

Although, the tracking would be the main issue here. I don't know of any WACOM products that are 15.6" in a proper ratio, which means that you'll be in a pickle when it comes to mapping it properly to the screen.

The controller board delivery takes from 30 to 60 days (on free) so it will be a while until I can keep you update.

The active area is indeed a few inches smaller. I thought of underscanning the display as a solution (or some way to make the monitor show less pixels)