In 10 years what will be the Desktop chip be ??

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I see a combined effort of IA64 with x86-64......
or who knows, maybe x86-128 ......

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Definitely 128-bit technology! A 128-bit 300MHz processor with a 256-bit memory interface can kill any 32-bit processor we have today.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
128-bit chips most likely, but I'd thnk the memory interface would be higher than 256-bit wide....doesnt the current P3 with advance transfer cache use a 256-bit cache/memory interface ? Maybe somethign like 1024-bit in 10 years, as we know computer technology just keeps developing faster and faster all the time.....
The 486 ddint even last 10 years....so I think we'll have soem MAJOR improvements......

Maybe we'll have our FSB speeds back on par with the MHz the chip is rated at...than that eliminates a MAJOR bottleneck in every computer today.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
64 Bit CPU with 128 bit FSB memory connection in a sealed environment. Integrated Graphic engine with high bandwith (ODR 256 bit memory interface) unified memory architecture, possibly SRAM.
...Or something completely different.

In any case the system will be mostly used for playing solitaire :wink:

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I was talking about the System RAM and not the cache. However, 256-bit cache is next to useless on a 32-bit processor. Today's current processors can't swallow that much bandwidth. What I expect will happen is we will have large 0-latency caches like the small L1 cache on the P4. Large 0-latency cache will greatly reduce the number of wasted cycles!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

What even makes you think we'll have processors like that in ten years time? For all yoyu know we could be using bio-technology by then.

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Biotechnology is technology that manipulates living things. I believe you are talking about Biocomputers? Like the Bio-neural gelpacks used on Star Trek Voyager? First of all, I doubt we'll progress that much in 10 years and secondly I wouldn't want to use a computer that is partially alive. It's just freaky.

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
64bit processing will be well entrenched at the budget end of the spectrum. Sun already has a 64bit workstation for under USD1K.

Except for graphics processing there is no point going to 128bit, it will only make life harder for the mobo makers to put out cheap mobos (the more bits the more etching required).

It doesn't really matter who wins as a 10Ghz 64bit CPU on a 0.07micron process will be as cheap, powerful and cool running as any single user will require. In ten years time these CPU's will be like buying pencils. It already is a commodity market look at the power/price ratio we are getting today.

<font color=blue> The Revolution starts here... as soon as I finish my coffee </font color=blue> :eek:

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Who's to say there will even be a desktop in 10 years? Technology is moving at an alarming rate and in 10 years we might not even use a desktop.

:cool: <b>Change the sig of the week!</b> :cool:
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
will if you include memory interfaces,
in 10 years we will have very much exceeded RDRAM 64bit, DDR2 and probably QDR as well.
10 years is just too far to predict. 5 years we havve a hope

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you dispay maturity.

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Quantum computing? Probably not, but it sure would be cool.
Acording to Moore's law, computers double in speed every 18 months. If that continues to hold true (and I'm sure it will), computers 10 years from now will be more than 64 times faster than they are now.

TknD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
None of those, 10 years is a long time...

In ten years, I can't even imagine what we'll have then. We might have replaced almost everything in the computer with some sort of new technology (ex: current hard disks will be replaced by advanced optical disks). Maybe we'll even find reason to get rid of the CPU... the possibilities are endless.

<b>Does it work?</b>
Yes!
<b>Ok, How <i>well</i> does it work?</b>
Uhh...

G

who cares what u think

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--