In a desktop, how to replace (2) internal WiFi/Bluetooth bracket antennas with (2) black external antennas?

Markx13

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Have HP desktop with wifi/bluetooth card attached to mobo (NOT to a PCIe x1 slot). Card is Dual-Band WiFi "N600", and Dual Mode Bluetooth 4.0

(2) cables run from wifi/bluetooth card to (2) tiny metal brackets (internal antennas), and (2) wires from each cable are soldered to the little brackets (internal antennas).

I would like to keep the WiFi card, but replace the internal bracket antennas with (2) black 9dBi Gain, or greater, WiFi antennas. I would have to drill (2) holes in the PC case to mount the new antennas, and run two cable to the WiFi card. Has anyone done this?

Also, if I remove the (2) little internal bracket antennas, do I lose Bluetooth communications? Or, will Bluetooth continue thru the new external antennas?

Mark13

Revolution Analytics; Credant

Solution
Almost all these cards use a standard antenna connection. All you really need are a couple of cable to connect to the card and extend to the back of the case with the connectors that match your antenna. There are some that have premount connections in a slot cover but it is not all that hard to drill them yourself.
The bluetooth signal is run over the same antenna and should work fine.
Almost all these cards use a standard antenna connection. All you really need are a couple of cable to connect to the card and extend to the back of the case with the connectors that match your antenna. There are some that have premount connections in a slot cover but it is not all that hard to drill them yourself.
The bluetooth signal is run over the same antenna and should work fine.

Solution