[SOLVED] In BIOS 4 Memory Sticks recognized but only 2 available in dual channel. How to make all work?

Nadaga

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
CpuZ list of ram, cpu, mobo.

View: https://imgur.com/rmL2r2o

It is certainly a ragtag band of ramsticks, but before i reset my bios, i actually had 16gbs of ram.

How do i make that happen again?

The system originally had the 2 corsair sticks, the kingstons came from a different system.

The problem is not only the lack of xmp profile, but other rams don't even run in single mode.

Solution
1.5V is pretty standard for regular DDR3... 1.65V for higher clocked kits.

You'll see in some of the profiles in CPU-Z that the Kingston 1600MHz XMP profiles are spec'd at 1.65V and the Corsairs are 1.5V for the same speed. The Corsair is the 'better' kit in terms of voltage required and 'better' from a timings standpoint too.

You should be able to apply 1.65V across the board. It's what the Kingston kit 'needs' for the speed, and the Corsair should handle it fine. Worst-case, try 1333MHz @ 1.65V and make sure everything is showing up correctly and work to reduce voltage from there.

As far as 'risky', anytime you run things a bit hotter or with more voltage, you run the risk of shaving some time off it's useable lifespan - but...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Your RAM is operating in dual channel mode? 4x4GB for 16GB, dual channel mode.

I suspect you're looking at the 'rank', which is not the same and relates to the specific modules. Only one of your DIMMs are dual rank, the others are single rank.

Nadaga

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
In bios i also only see 2 out of 4, but the system browser sees all 4, just like cpu z.

I know that the memory tab makes it look like all is well, but as you can see from the task manager i only have 8 gigs of ram.

If i put in the first kingston, i don't even have the option of an xmp profile.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Oh, I missed the TaskManager screenshot.

That's going to be compatibility issues..... CPU-z "knows" the RAM is there, so it's being detected.

If you use either Kingston, you've no option for XMP? Does the Corsair have an XMP option?
You could manually apply a voltage increase on the memory, see if that helps. Trying to get differing DIMMs/kits to cooperate can be difficult, and a voltage bump is an easy check.

Nadaga

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Oh, I missed the TaskManager screenshot.

That's going to be compatibility issues..... CPU-z "knows" the RAM is there, so it's being detected.

If you use either Kingston, you've no option for XMP? Does the Corsair have an XMP option?
You could manually apply a voltage increase on the memory, see if that helps. Trying to get differing DIMMs/kits to cooperate can be difficult, and a voltage bump is an easy check.

Could you recommend me a specific amount?

How risky is upping the voltage?

I already tried messing around with the timings but had no luck with that, but was afraid to mess with the voltage.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
1.5V is pretty standard for regular DDR3... 1.65V for higher clocked kits.

You'll see in some of the profiles in CPU-Z that the Kingston 1600MHz XMP profiles are spec'd at 1.65V and the Corsairs are 1.5V for the same speed. The Corsair is the 'better' kit in terms of voltage required and 'better' from a timings standpoint too.

You should be able to apply 1.65V across the board. It's what the Kingston kit 'needs' for the speed, and the Corsair should handle it fine. Worst-case, try 1333MHz @ 1.65V and make sure everything is showing up correctly and work to reduce voltage from there.

As far as 'risky', anytime you run things a bit hotter or with more voltage, you run the risk of shaving some time off it's useable lifespan - but remember, it's off the end-state. RAM, at stock will run pretty much forever. When applying a reasonable voltage bump, DDR3 and platforms that support it will be long obsolete before that little amount of time you shave off it's lifespan will become a factor.

There is the argument for the chip and IMC with higher voltage but I've never heard widespread issues of issues with over-volted RAM (within reason). Have you owned the chip since new? If so, and you've always run at stock, then you should have absolutely zero issues @ 1.65V. If you bought the CPU used, then it may have been run hard and had excessive voltage pushed through it for years.... So any damage to the IMC may already be done. If you can't get it all recognized, at 1600MHz (or at least 1333MHz) with 1.65V maximum, then that may be the case.

In terms of timings, finding a common denominator can be tough - and you only have so much control over primary timings etc, other factors are at play within the BIOS that you don't have access to. That's why mixing & matching can be problematic.

Solution

Nadaga

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Yeah previously i tried 1600mhz with 1.65v.

Now i have set the voltage to 1.65v with no effect, then set the mhz as low as 1066mhz and bios still only showed 2 sticks.

Finally setting timings to 11 11 11 28 gave me memory beep code and i was forced to change it back.