In-depth review of EK-Thermosphere Universal Water Block

williamgayde

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
EK is known for their full cover water blocks, but what about people that don't want to spend that much money or those that have an older graphics card? Up until now there have been very few high quality products for that set of people. The Thermosphere is EK's solution to bring GPU water cooling to the masses.

Let’s start with an unboxing. There is little to say about the box. The Thermosphere is part of EK's hugely successful Clean CSQ line. I will be checking out the Nickel Plexi version, but results should be consistent among others.
ctL0FIol.jpg
XxZb554l.jpg

Taking off the cardboard cover we find various warnings and some warranty info. EK does not cover leaks or other damage caused by you.
18EmRZxl.jpg

Unpacking we find the block, mounting hardware, and instructions. The instructions are easy to read but installation was so simple I didn’t end up using them.
omarUG3l.jpg

Now for a closer look at the block. As usual EK's clear blocks look amazing.
qHCT98wl.jpg
2KXjFedl.jpg

Some more glamour shots
w7Wc6cnl.jpg
L7EgYh2l.jpg

The block features 4 inlets/outlets. EK includes 2 plugs for which ever two you aren't using. This doesn't tie you down to one configuration and allows for nearly any loop configuration.
h6RXkFul.jpg

Rather than a one size fits all, the Thermosphere uses custom mounting brackets. They are specific to the line of cards. The unit comes pre-configured to work with GTX600-700 series cards. More plates can be found here. They are under $10 but you still have to purchase them separately. They simply screw into the back of the water block. I would have liked to see them included, but cost was a key factor in this product's design so I am not surprised.
GpKDsLPl.jpg
TeVCfoWl.jpg

Now on to installation. Since the product is very compact, installation was a breeze. Simply remove your stock cooler, wipe down and remove old TIM with alcohol, apply the new included TIM to the block, and screw in using the 4 screws.
DLV9EYFl.jpg
BkgkeZTl.jpg

Now on to my second and last complaint. There is nothing for the RAM or power delivery system. Granted the GPU core is the hottest part, but even some inexpensive metal heatsinks would work wonders for the rest of the card. Maybe EK can sell an add on that includes a handful of small heatsinks that can be attached with thermal pads. The water block is very thin and only takes up a single slot. This would work great for single slot cards in a multi GPU setup.
2K1MY2Tl.jpg
VVKTGiLl.jpg

There is obviously no backplate as each card’s layout is individualized.
GNX32rgl.jpg

Here is the card installed and running.
GT6XV0rl.jpg

Finally on to the performance numbers. I ended up doing temperature tests on a Sapphire 280X. I tested against Arctic’s Hybrid II all-in-one GPU water block (review here). The Hybrid II is more than $30 more expensive, but includes a pump and reservoir. As you can see the Thermosphere performed very well. At 100% speed the results get a little closer since there is only so much heat that can be transferred through liquid. The coolant temperature in the loop is usually only a few degrees warmer than the heat producing component. For this reason turning up the fan rpm didn't help much either. I was able to achieve nearly 20 degrees cooler than the stock fan at low speeds and 6 degrees cooler at full speed. Sub 50 temperatures are pretty impressive at full load.
wzQJk74l.jpg

The EK-Thermosphere is a great product for someone who wants to water cool their GPU but doesn't want to spend a fortune. Coming in at under $80, the Thermosphere is a bargain compared to $100-130 full cover blocks. The Thermosphere's performance is not too far off from full cover blocks as well. I would expect around 5 degrees warmer. What you are missing is cooling for the VRAM and voltage regulators. If that is worth the extra $30, go for the full block. The Thermosphere would work great for those wishing to liquid cool older or lower end products that don't have full cover blocks. All in all the EK-Thermosphere is a great water block for those new to water cooling or those who are on a budget.new to water cooling or those who are on a budget.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'd be cautious, though. Your coverage doesn't account for any additional cooling for the vRAM, MOSFETs, VRMs, etc. that are normally cooled by the stock air cooler or by a full-cover waterblock. It's not recommended to only watercool a GPU without also accounting for cooling of these other components, especially if you are overclocking.

If using a universal GPU block, it is strongly recommended to provide cooling for these items as well as adequate airflow to ensure proper temp control.

Part of me (most of me tbh) doesnt like it, Id prefer the adaptor block to have been copper really but as a small part of me would use the slim profile as a plus point for my method of modding the cards original cover back onto the card on top of these blocks to provide cooling for the rest of the card I can slightly, begrudgingly approve, your review itself was a nice light and fresh read though :)
Moto

Looks like you get around William:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?289963-EK-Thermosphere-Universal-Water-Block

It's kinda sad if some poor little uninformed overclocker misses this bit of info:

Quote below from EK website which was almost overlookable, but really should have looked like this!

Other heat generating components (such as RAM and VRM integrated circuit) need alternative cooling method (fan and/or self adhesive heatsinks).

In my experienced opinion, You just started the TBF clock on that GPU, TBF meaning (Time Before Failure), and overclocking has nothing to do with it!

Memory chip overheating usually starts showing with artifacting, but VR overheating can be an instant card killer or crippler.

You removed the VR and Memory heat sink plate, and have already been running tests on the card, do you really think they were stock cooled for nothing? :pfff:

EK doesn't supply the replacement heat sinks for the VR and Memory in the box, simply because they would be forced to cover all Graphic card possibilities and it would have cost much more!

But as long as they give you some warning you needed the extra protection, it is not their problem lawsuit wise anymore is it.

Oh, Welcome to Tom's Hardware by the way, and obviously to Extremesystems.org as well.

Good call, 4Ryan6 :) You definitely have to cool other components on the PCB besides the GPU. I still say go full coverage block if you can when it comes to GPU cooling. Also, BTW, are you still hoping to get that MountainMods case for Christmas?

It will be after Christmas, using the Tax Return, (if), it becomes a reality?, and I say if, because it's price with the extra panels I'll need for it, equal a possible new PC upgrade?

Catch my drift? :)

My first obstacle is I want the Watercool MO-RA3 radiator internally mounted in the case, BUT, I want to run the present setup with 180mm cooling fans, and MM does not have a pre-cut quad square 180mm side panel, So I would have to get a solid panel and cut it to mount the radiator with 180mm cooling fans.

So there's a major surgery modification from the very beginning. :pfff:

When the purchase balance scales of the outgoing money to do it, lean more towards an upgrade vs the new case?

Then it's serious decision time my friend! :)

Don't overlook this Moto,

When the purchase balance scales of the outgoing money to do it, lean more towards an upgrade vs the new case?

Then it's serious decision time my friend!

I know i know hehe, and itd be great to get a case that exactly fit criteria straight from the box but you and I know that rarely happens once you start down the path of knowing what you want, we can get stuff thats close to what we want but it still 'needs' our gentle touch to make perfect, but as you say, often money spent on modding could have gone elsewhere and its weighing up the gains that sometimes makes the decision for us,
on a related note I reckon you me Lutfij and Rubix hitting a Pc store sometime would be worth filming lol, 'disclaimer' No store staff were injured during the filming of this show,-although all attended a counselling session afterwards....'
:p
Moto