Question In desperate need of help

Mar 3, 2020
Hello Guys and gals.
I have recently ventured into the world of PC gaming following 12 years as a console gamer. I bought a pre-built rig for £500 and so far i have been really enjoying what PC gaming has to offer. I do now feel however that maybe my build is not powerful enough to get the most out of games. I am only interested in 1080p gaming and I am happy with just 144fps as I use a 144mhz monitor.

I have fallen into a trap of watching videos and reading various posts on the internet. I am not interested in always having the best of the best things I just want to make sure I can play the games and enjoy them.

I have considered upgrading my current build but I am really confused as to compatibility and if in deed it would be worthwhile. Any help would be really appreciated as I am a complete newbie and only slowly starting to understand how all this works. I will put my current specs below.

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard - X79 - DDR3 i believe
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Barty1884

Titan
Your current system should be fine for modern gaming.
For 144FPS in a lot of titles though, the 1050TI is probably where you should be looking.

A 4820K was a great CPU, it's getting a little bit older now... but four cores/8threads should still be sufficient. An overclock to ~4.4-4.5GHz wouldn't be a bad idea though.

In terms of GPU upgrades, do you know what PSU you have? If not, please check. There will be a label on the side of the PSU which will tell you the full model.

ASK THE COMMUNITY