Build Advice In dire need of suggestions...

May 14, 2019
I plan on upgrading my PC and I'm drowning in the endless sea of part choices...
My current build:

Asus z97-A
Intel Core i7-4790K (I have noticed I'm not into overclocking)
G.skill Ripjaws 2x8GB running at 1600 mhz
Corsair h110i GT (Pump is coughing)
MSI GTX Gaming 4G 980
EVGA 650W PSU
My case is ugly so I have decided not to include it...

I would be grateful for any part/full build suggestions. The only I plan on sparing are the GPU and the PSU. Everything else can be replaced to newer parts (New Z-boards, DDR4 etc.).
The most important things for me in a PC ranked in order:

1. Aesthetics
The base idea of this upgrade is to make it POP with a tempered glass window and RGBs
2. Quietness
My current PC is loud af and I would appreciate a quiet PC next
3. Futureproofing
Has to have a moba that allows overclocking and additional RAM if I ever have the need. (SLI is not needed)
4. Performance
Not as important but I do plan on playing the latest games (I have a 980 so you know I've been a gamer)

(Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be EXTREME in any of those. My budget is around 700 euros but I can definitely go lower.)

I know people on this forum have ideas and they like to build PCs (real and fictional) so I'm turning to you guys. Any build ideas are appreciated, thanks! I know everyone has their personal taste but every idea helps me out a little.

As to aesthetics, changing out the case is a very good idea.
Cases last a long time so you want one you love.

My selection criteria for a more quiet case would be to pick one with two front 140mm intake fans(or a 200mm fan)
140mm fans move more air per rpm than 12omm and will be quieter.
For good research on quiet computing go to www.silentpcreview.com

I would also want at least 160mm available for a good twin tower cpu cooler like the Noctua NH-D15s.

Your 4790K is still a very viable gamer, particularly if overclocked.
You may do well to keep it, at least for a while.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.

To help clarify your CPU/GPU options

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

My suspicion is that your gaming performance will improve more with a Graphics upgrade than with a cpu upgrade.
Perhaps a GTX1660ti or even RTX2080 class card.

A caveat:
Do not plan on upgrading ram by adding more.
Ram is sold in matched kits for a reason.
Adding more may not work.
Better to buy what you need up front.
It is hard to imagine that more than a 2 x 8gb kit would not suffice.

May 14, 2019
You still have a great PC. Ask this question after 3rd gen Ryzen releases in the next month or two.
My reason to upgrade is not the lack of performance or computing power. I want a clean slate, you could say. And really just build a PC again. This time focusing on the looks and quality rather than the beef. I'm looking for a motherboard, RAM and a CPU cooler and at this point it doesn't matter whether I have a running PC or not. I hope you understand my point haha. AMDs 3rd gen processors do look interesting and I am now thinking of buying everything else now and waiting for the new gen. Do you know if the same socket, that being AM4, supports the upcoming Ryzens?

Last edited:
My reason to upgrade is not the lack of performance or computing power. I want a clean slate, you could say. And really just build a PC again. This time focusing on the looks and quality rather than the beef. I'm looking for a motherboard, RAM and a CPU cooler and at this point it doesn't matter whether I have a running PC or not. I hope you understand my point haha. AMDs 3rd gen processors do look interesting and I am now thinking of buying everything else now and waiting for the new gen. Do you know if the same chipset, that being AM4, supports the upcoming Ryzens?
The AM4 plaform should support any Ryzen processors up to the year 2020 which is around the time AM5 will be released. However I have heard rumors on how certain motherboard manufacturers may not support future processors for 300/400 series motherboards. This is purely speculation.

May 14, 2019
As to aesthetics, changing out the case is a very good idea.
Cases last a long time so you want one you love.

My selection criteria for a more quiet case would be to pick one with two front 140mm intake fans(or a 200mm fan)
140mm fans move more air per rpm than 12omm and will be quieter.
For good research on quiet computing go to www.silentpcreview.com

I would also want at least 160mm available for a good twin tower cpu cooler like the Noctua NH-D15s.

Your 4790K is still a very viable gamer, particularly if overclocked.
You may do well to keep it, at least for a while.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.

To help clarify your CPU/GPU options

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

My suspicion is that your gaming performance will improve more with a Graphics upgrade than with a cpu upgrade.
Perhaps a GTX1660ti or even RTX2080 class card.

A caveat:
Do not plan on upgrading ram by adding more.
Ram is sold in matched kits for a reason.
Adding more may not work.
Better to buy what you need up front.
It is hard to imagine that more than a 2 x 8gb kit would not suffice.
Thanks for the reply! You made some good points that also came across my mind. I know how the CPU affects game performance and that is also a reason for upgrading. I simply don't need the 4790K and feel like the 6 cores and more threads would come in handy more. So, according to these replies I should keep the 4790K. I would if I could just pop it into a new MOBA and give it new RAM easily. I would buy a new, better looking z97 board but those aren't for sale anymore... I might keep the old CPU at least until the 3rd gen AMD comes around. I don't think that I'll go Intel again. It might be easier for me to buy the parts separately therefore I could begin acquiring the parts already.

Last edited:

mtracy1991

Reputable
There were already announcements of more MOBOs providing support for the newer AMD chips, again, we won't know until they release. I'd wait for the clean slate once the new CPUs release from AMD. I couldn't wait, I built my rig back in feb with the 2700x.

May 14, 2019
Here's a well rounded RGB PC, I selected the i5 9400F since it's upgrade able to an i9 9900K in the future, and is a significant jump from your 4790K. I selected France as I wasn't sure what country you were from. https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/HWbNdX
Haha, I'm from Finland. And thanks for a build idea. To update: I think I'll try to build an AMD system. NZXT H500 is a decent looking case but it lacks imagination in my opinion. I will definitely look into those Trident Zs... I've not seen them before. AM4 socket probably supports the later generations if I want to upgrade again in the far future. I have considered the Cooler master Hyper 212 RGB but now I'm almost leaning towards Deepcools Gammaxx GT as it looks a little better imo. If you know how these coolers compare to each other, let me know :)

May 14, 2019
Thanks for the replies! I hope it doesn't seem like I'm just turning my back on all the advice as I am definitely being critical and careful. Everything written here gives me food for thought : D

May 14, 2019
Ryzen 2nd or waiting for 3rd gen are both great choices either way.
Do you have experience with Ryzen processors? Do they perform and stay cool enough without using the highest RPM on the fans? I have always owned an Intel... But while seeing so much positive feedback and articles I'm starting to doubt if Intel is worth it anymore...

Do you have experience with Ryzen processors? Do they perform and stay cool enough without using the highest RPM on the fans?

Here is my system:

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB DUKE OC Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Asus - ROG SWIFT PG348Q 34.0" 3440x1440 100 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Keyboard: Corsair - K70 RGB MK.2 Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Mouse: Corsair - IRONCLAW RGB FPS/MOBA Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $0.00)
Headphones: Kingston - HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset (Purchased For $0.00)
Custom: Altec Lansing VS4621 Octane 7, 2.1 Computer Speaker (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-15 14:15 EDT-0400

The fans in the CoolerMaster N200 are a bit on the louder side and I have some Noctua fans that i'll be using for replacement in the near future. As for the stock wraith cooler, it is adequate and is by no means under powered. However i'd like to eventually swap out the stock cooler with an aftermarket to see if I can reach a multiplier higher than 37 on all cores. I have had no reason to overclock this system yet as my frame rates more than match my monitors refresh rate for Black Ops IIII on very high graphical settings. This system has been an absolute all-in-one monster that does everything I need from high end gaming to video editing. It was an amazing upgrade going from from a 4.9 ghz i5 2500k back in 2017. The first 8 core/16 thread processor under Intel's $1000 price footprint (At the time) so my plans are to sit on this system until Intel can manufacturer a 12-16 core processor with a base frequency of 5ghz. That! Will be my next platform upgrade 😉

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS