Question In Dual GPU Setup One GPU Slows Whole System

Apr 22, 2019
I have just built a new pc about 6 month ago. It has been running great up until now. It seems if i do anything that involves both of my GPUS the whole pc stutters. Even on a timespy with both gpus now the test will fail instantly. If i plug the display port into the one card and use just that one its all fine. If i plug in the other i get constant artifacts and it affects the performance of both gpus. If i enable crossfire the whole system get unstable. It seems the one graphics card is causing the problems. (or potentially the pcie slot?) When i look in the device manager both cards show up perfect and they both show up in my AMD drivers perfectly fine. Not sure what the issue may be, if its a card or pcie slot or potentially something else. It was working fine and now has issues, Makes me lean towards the graphics card.

Here are the specs:

MSI Pro Carbon Gaming z370
Intel i9 9900k on Corsair H150
Dual Radeon 7s with EKWB blocks and backplates into their phoenix 240 module unit.
64gb Corsair Dominator Platinum (4 x 16)
Raid Mode Samsung 960 Evo
3 8 TB Internal HDs
1200 PSU

Im trying to get a spare card to test the PCIE Slot. My next steps are also to tear down the water system and swap card positions to see if the problem follows the card or pcie slot. Any insight would be much appreciated. I have tried Display Driver Uninstaller and fresh drivers and older drivers. Also I have tried going down to 1 Monitor as I know Radeon VIIs have problems with 3 sometimes.

Last edited:

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Stick to the basics to pinpoint your troubleshooting. Take 1 card and take note which of the 2 it is and the exact slot. insert it and test for about 30-45 minutes. If all goes well, take that out, and re-test using the other card in the same slot. Repeat test for 30-45 minutes. If that one is the culprit then you might have a dud card and need to return it or RMA within warranty specs to get it fixed asap. If both work then it could be a pcie slot issue which I doubt.

But then again I've heard crossfire and SLI being extremely finicky when it comes to stuttering problems and what motherboard it can support etc. Usually if it's not the same exact card from the same manufacturer, many builders won't even bother since they're bound to unknown crashes and random errors. Good luck!

Reactions: MrClassicT
Apr 22, 2019
I have some plugs on order to be able to run one at a time but will be a day or 2.. I have the ekwb spacer that connects so all I can test is swapping rip and bottom card. i have the issues when crossfire is disabled also though. I don't really use the crossfire just tried it to see how it acted with my issues. I appreciate the help ill try both and see what happens. No other issues or possible causes I might have overlooked? As for the rma I think im screwed as I didn't save the factory shrouds for my cards...

Apr 22, 2019
Not sure if this helps. It shows how slow the one card is going and that it can drag the other down. whats odd is at times it still produces ok in small bursts like it used to. PHOTO is it possible somehow now the pcie lanes are bogged down all of a sudden or am i no where close to that.

Apr 22, 2019
Well i swapped motherboards and same issues but on this motherboard shows the card as error 43 not working like the other. I swapped card slots and the problem followed it. I tore it down to the pcb and it looks perfect i feel no crack or no burn marks... I highly doubt it's the psu seen as its a 1200 watt and less than a month old. I may try to find another to test any other ideas?

If I understand you correctly:
  1. In cross fire when plugging in multiple displays the issue replicates.
  2. You swapped out the motherboard and slots and the issue followed with one of the cards.

What happens when you plug multiple displays into the suspect card? You stated the issue followed the card no mater what slot was used which means you were testing that one card individually, which means the issue has nothing to do with crossfire. Is that correct?

Apr 22, 2019
If I understand you correctly:
  1. In cross fire when plugging in multiple displays the issue replicates.
  2. You swapped out the motherboard and slots and the issue followed with one of the cards.
What happens when you plug multiple displays into the suspect card? You stated the issue followed the card no mater what slot was used which means you were testing that one card individually, which means the issue has nothing to do with crossfire. Is that correct?
Yes it has nothing to do with crossfire. It won't post with the suspect card and if i boot with both cards and plug other displays in it does nothing on that card. It shows under device manager as error 43. I tried ddu and 3 different driver versions.

Apr 22, 2019
Yes it has nothing to do with crossfire. It won't post with the suspect card and if i boot with both cards and plug other displays in it does nothing on that card. It shows under device manager as error 43. I tried ddu and 3 different driver versions.
I only referred to crossfire because when I had the old mobo it wasn't error 43 but I had problems with the card and if I did crossfire it'd make both act up.

Return it. You did a good job troubleshooting. That's enough to warrant a RMA.

Apr 22, 2019
I'm trying.. I dont have original shroud though so I'm thinking they won't. I'm waiting to hear back. I also don't see any shrouds on ebay... I've never ever had a card go out and I have owned about 20...thus one was the best kept one ever and on water from day one and never peaked 60 degrees.. Surprised its acting up