[SOLVED] In ear headset for deskphone, RJ11 converter?

tamdunk

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hi, my colleague needs an in ear headset for her deskphone, but I cant find any relevant products. Does anyone know if these are available? Is there anyway to convert an RJ11 connection in the phone to a USB or something similar that would allow other peripherals to be used with a deskphone?

Apologies if this is in the wrong category, felt this was the most relevant.

Solution
Office supply stores sell a number of devices even though these are not as popular since you do not see desktop phones a lot anymore. There are 2 basic type. The more common kind plug into the handset cord. Most have a special think to help hold the handset up since there is a switch that knows when you pick the handset up. These are the most common used by large business because the desktop phones tend to use proprietary systems to hook to the pbx so you can't plug into the wall jack. If you want to go directly into the rj11 wall jack you are more or less buying a phone. They make specialized devices mostly for wireless headset that you plug between your phone and the wall and you can pick the call up with either the...
Office supply stores sell a number of devices even though these are not as popular since you do not see desktop phones a lot anymore. There are 2 basic type. The more common kind plug into the handset cord. Most have a special think to help hold the handset up since there is a switch that knows when you pick the handset up. These are the most common used by large business because the desktop phones tend to use proprietary systems to hook to the pbx so you can't plug into the wall jack. If you want to go directly into the rj11 wall jack you are more or less buying a phone. They make specialized devices mostly for wireless headset that you plug between your phone and the wall and you can pick the call up with either the phone or the headset adapter. It tends to be cheaper to buy a desktop phone that has a headphone jack.

Solution

tamdunk

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Thanks for the reply, the phones we have are mitel 5330e IP phone. the handset to this can be disconnected and plugs in with what I think is an RJ11 connection. It may be worth seeing if they could get a different phone for her.

The handset on most phones use rj9 if I remember correctly. If it is a IP phone you are definitely going to have to go the device in the handset route

Mitel is a very well known brand in large offices. Mitel sell all kinds of things that let you attach various headphones to their products. I know many of the fancy ip phones have bluetooth ability. Not sure if you can use just any device or if they force you to use their expensive headsets to use things like bluetooth.

tamdunk

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Thanks for your help. I'll maybe get in touch with Mitel and see if they have any solutions. Their website isn't the best for searching for features. Think you may be right about the handset connection.