In every dual-core phone, there’s a PC trying to get out.

Thought you guys might be interested in this:

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

From that page:

Your next desktop could be a phone

Why carry two devices, when you could carry only one? Your next high-end smartphone has far more horsepower than you’ll need on a phone, and more than enough for a laptop. So we’ve brought Android together with Ubuntu, the world’s favourite free operating system, to give you a full productivity desktop that fits in your pocket. Android for the phone experience, Ubuntu for the desktop, all on one device, running at the same time.

So forget the office PC. Just dock your corporate phone and enjoy Ubuntu. Anywhere. One address book. One set of bookmarks. One place for your text messages and email. No more typing on a tiny screen when all you want is a keyboard and a mouse. Seamless integration of your desktop and mobile worlds. Brilliant.

Usual discussions and comments at:

http://www.slashgear.com/ubuntu-comes-to-android-for-a-full-desktop-experience-21214617/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/21/ubuntus-full-desktop-os-coming-to-multi-core-android-devices/

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I'm going to stick with my usual "the desktop market will never die". Never will the day come where I don't want:

a) A reasonably large screen so I can actually SEE what I'm doing
b) A keyboard and mouse
c) A customizable OS on which I can do as I please
d) PROCESSING POWER

Could you imagine waiting for things to compile on a phone (assuming compilers were even ported)? Imagine CAD or Photo/Video work? Gah, bloody awful.

Have you use photoshop on an iPad? Have you seen video via HDMI out from a decent phone? As much as I'm of the same mindset the VM on device model is a very interesting one. Tie it with cloud storage and you could even off-load processor intensive work to systems such as Amazon and call on crazy ass compute power.

The Ubuntu model is interesting in that it only works when docked to an external display, the disc image is customisable and there is nothing stopping you accessing internal storage such as SD. From a corporate IT stance moving to software as a service and VM images which are almost device independent is a killer sell. Why buy your staff HW when the dumb fools can provide it for you, just load the VM app and away they go. We're already seeing the IT market change, this time I think it will be driven from the consumer side rather than the corporate side.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

To be honest, no I have not. I'm too damn stubborn. The idea of even trying sickens me, although I'm sure it's not 10% as bad as I think it would be :D. I have seen HDMI output from phones, and that is fairly impressive, I'll give it that much.

I mean, I do have to say it's been a bit tempting to get a tablet lately. If I could afford to, I'm sure I would. These Tegra3 tablets are looking promising for instance. If I could get a reasonably priced tablet/phone with close to the processing and graphics ability of your average desktop, as well as 2GB-4GB of RAM, I would be all over it. Pair that with a dock at home including a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and this would be brilliant.

Couple the previously mentioned device with 'cloud' (please don't make me say that again :D) services, and now we're talking. However, this leads me to another issue, which is with 'cloud' (you made me do it) computing in general. While it is great, I don't like being limited to having a network connection in order to use intensive applications, and I'm not sure I trust people handling ALL my data.

tl;dr, I'm stubborn, and trying to accept new technologies :)

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I'm stubborn too...

Yet to have a phone...

You know until Mozilla gets B2G working.

I don't cloud unless I need to.

Nothing I value more than speed. Me using LXDE on my desktop computer is proof of that. (Went insane with a slow laptop).

I too am old enough to see that Cloud is just another round of the paradigm cycle. Hell I remember back in the 90's discussing with a friend at Uni how we could start a business using a Unix server and X terminals for clients to remove local IT overhead... the lack of network infrastructure killed that idea.

In terms of device speed and performance I have to say that Apple do very well with iOS, it makes the most of the HW very nicely. Android suffers from the same problems that Windows does, try to work for everyone and you loose that tight optimisation. Much like the PC wars we're now seeing the deployment of yet more cores and memory to get round the problem; battery performance be dammed.

B2G is interesting but of all the mobile OS out there at present it seems to be more reliant on 'cloud' than any other. For that reason alone it's not grabbed my attention yet. Ubuntu have taken an interesting stance, why try to scale an optimised phone OS to the desktop when you can run both a phone and desktop solution on the same HW? At home on wi-fi and connected to a NAS how much more do most home users need? My c2d rig is starting to age, optimised Ubuntu on something like Tegra 3 would blow my graphics performance out of the water and I doubt for 80% of what I do I'd notice that much of a hit performance wise as I'm on slow old discs and bloated Vista.

The interesting one to watch here is how MS choose to play this game. If the ARM support goes well then I think you can expect something similar with Windows Phones. If you could make it fully wireless and keep the phones as a controller or pop it into a keyboard (I've already seen docking stations that use phones as gesture pads). You could perhaps do some form of local cloud via the 720 or whatever they decide to launch it as.

For once I'm actually thinking convergence might be about to really take off.

Mozilla Partners Up With LG To Combat Apple and Google

From Slashdot: http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/02/24/1458227/mozilla-partners-up-with-lg-to-combat-apple-and-google

"At Mobile World Congress, which begins in three days, Mozilla will finally take the wraps off the Mozilla Marketplace and allow developers to submit their open web technology (HTML5, JavaScript, CSS) apps. While the Marketplace will play an important role in keeping Firefox in step with Chrome, these apps will actually play a far more important role: Boot to Gecko (B2G), Mozilla's upcoming smartphone and tablet OS, will also use the Marketplace. For B2G to succeed it must have apps, and to create apps you need developers. That's why, at MWC, according to a source close to the matter, Mozilla will also be announcing that it has partnered up with LG to make a developer-oriented B2G-powered mobile device. Even more interestingly, Brendan Eich, Mozilla's Chief Technology Officer, says that it will unveil other partners at MWC as well — probably carriers, who are eager to use the open B2G and its Marketplace to escape the huge control that Apple and Google currently exert in the smartphone space."

Can we have a sweepstake on how long it will take for Apple to get involved with this? I'll start the ball rolling at 10 months :lol:

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

I'm saying 8 :D