In-Game Signs of GPU Overheating? Amongst other issues.

BreezyKun

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016
So I was playing Overwatch with some friends, the Halloween event started yesterday. We played for about 4 hours, though between the third n fourth hour a flat plane popped up in the map obstructing my view, and when I walked through it n' tried to look back at it it was gone. One of my buds works with geeksquad and said that's a sign of GPU overheating, though it didnt pop up again until towards the end of my play session, and on a different map.

My GPU is a recently installed EVGA GTX 950 SC. I bought a Corsair CX 500W PSU alongside it, but it turned out to be faulty, and my old SolyTech SL-F400 400W satisfies the card just fine. Like any other card the fan faces downards, and is in close proximity to my PSU below, given my case is small (NZXT Vulcan).

My old card paired with this PSU was a GT 630 and never had this issue, but that card didnt require a PCIE power cable. What I'm thinking is that while it was initially fine, the increased power load on it is causing the heat to buildup and is then taken in by my GPU.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator tells me that my build has a load wattage of 263W and suggests a PSU with at least 313W, then suggests a 500W product.

Both the SolyTech and the GT 630 came with the machine, when I got it in 2012, making them 4 years old.

Any thoughts or ideas here?

BreezyKun

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016

I haven't modified any settings to make the card run harder than it does out of the box. Though the SC stands for superclocked. When a product has OC in the name, does that mean it's running harder than it should, or it's built to run at higher clock speeds than the reference model?

bloodroses

Distinguished
Did Overwatch just receive an update? That sounds more like a possible bug in the program in relation to your driver. If other users start exhibiting the same behavior, blizzard will end up patching it soon. I've had similar things happen in other games before shortly after a major update was released.

Its worth a shot, try backing off the clock on the memory a bit and see if that helps.

BreezyKun

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016

Yeah, the halloween update made some aesthetic changes to Hollywood (the first map it happened on) but Eichenwalde is unchanged (the 2nd map it happened on)