Question In-Game Stuttering on high-end machine ?

Sep 18, 2022
I have been experiencing stuttering lasting about .5 seconds when I am shooting or being shot at. I have tried a number of potential fixes and with no luck. I am starting to think it is a memory issue but would like some insight.

• Ryzen 5 5600x
  • Asrock B550 Pro 4
  • 32GB of Crucial 8GB DDR4-3200
  • M.2 Solid State
  • EVGA NVIDIA RTX 3080
Here is what I have tried:

BIOS
  • Loaded latest BIOS version
  • Disabled PSS Support
  • Disabled DF CStates
  • Disabled CPPC & CPPC Preferred
  • Loaded XMP 3200mhz Profile
  • Changed RAM Frequency to run at 3600mhz
  • Enabled Performance Boost Overdrive
  • Curve optimizer set to negative 5
  • Clock speed increased 100mhz

Windows 10
  • Updated all drivers
  • Disabled Game Mode and Game Bar
  • Played around with Ryzen Master but ended up uninstalling it
  • Enabled Extreme Performance Power Plan
  • Installed AMD Chipset Drivers
CPU-Z Screenshots
View: https://imgur.com/a/C554ajt

Any help here guys would be really appreciated. I am at a loss at this point.

Thank you!

Hey there,

What PSU are you running?

I'd start by taking off all OC's, and not use anything like Ryzen Master or apps like that. Run at stock and see if it still persists. Same for ram, run at XMP, and not manually OC'ed.

Ideally you shoudl be using Ryzen balanced power plan, as it will ensure the CPU boosts as expected.

You can set up MSI afterburner to show GPU, CPU, Ram details whilst gaming. Show Usage/Clockspeed, Vram, System mem etc. You can also set it to show 1.0% low's which can be an indicator of smoothness. It's possible you are having frametime spikes.

Why on earth is your CPU voltage at 2.192v? Have you manually changed vcore or something?

Sep 18, 2022
Hey there,

What PSU are you running?

I'd start by taking off all OC's, and not use anything like Ryzen Master or apps like that. Run at stock and see if it still persists. Same for ram, run at XMP, and not manually OC'ed.

Ideally you shoudl be using Ryzen balanced power plan, as it will ensure the CPU boosts as expected.

You can set up MSI afterburner to show GPU, CPU, Ram details whilst gaming. Show Usage/Clockspeed, Vram, System mem etc. You can also set it to show 1.0% low's which can be an indicator of smoothness. It's possible you are having frametime spikes.

Why on earth is your CPU voltage at 2.192v? Have you manually changed vcore or something?

Thank you for the reply!

PSU is an EVGA 850W GA.

I will change the BIOS settings back to default.

I have not set voltage or vcore on the CPU. I was wondering about the voltage as well. Could it be Ryzen PBO? Should I manually set the voltage?

Thank you for the reply!

PSU is an EVGA 850W GA.

I will change the BIOS settings back to default.

I have not set voltage or vcore on the CPU. I was wondering about the voltage as well. Could it be Ryzen PBO? Should I manually set the voltage?

That's a solid PSU the GA.

You might clear 'CMOS' on your mobo if you didn't do that after the bios update. This could be the issue.

You can try setting voltage manually at 1.35v or maybe slightly lower at 1.325 to see if it's sufficient for sustaining it's boost clocks, PBO should use it's algorythm, and in theory would never allow 2 volts to be pushed through it.

But really, if you have PBO on and haven't changed much else, like PPT or EDC then I can never see how your CPU would/would hit such high violtage. Is CPU-z up to date? It's really strange.

I'd go like this:

1. Clear CMOS.
  2. Set PBO in bios only, and leave all other settings on auto, except for ram. Stick in XMP/DOCP at it's rated speed.
  3. Test again.

Sep 18, 2022
That's a solid PSU the GA.

You might clear 'CMOS' on your mobo if you didn't do that after the bios update. This could be the issue.

You can try setting voltage manually at 1.35v or maybe slightly lower at 1.325 to see if it's sufficient for sustaining it's boost clocks, PBO should use it's algorythm, and in theory would never allow 2 volts to be pushed through it.

But really, if you have PBO on and haven't changed much else, like PPT or EDC then I can never see how your CPU would/would hit such high violtage. Is CPU-z up to date? It's really strange.

I'd go like this:

1. Clear CMOS.
  2. Set PBO in bios only, and leave all other settings on auto, except for ram. Stick in XMP/DOCP at it's rated speed.
  3. Test again.

Done. I left PBO on auto for now. I also changed the power plan to balanced as I guess with the Ryzen 5000 series, the Ryzen Power Plans aren't needed/included?

I ran CPU Z again and the core voltage is fluctuating as high 2.7V and as low as .500V. Is this normal or should I set the voltage manually?

Thank you again for all of the help. Really appreciate it.

Quick update here:

- It seems to have really helped! I've tried three different games that I was having issues with and no stutters! PC feels like it is running really well. I'm not going to touch a damn thing.

Thank you sir!

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Okay. That's good.

I've never seen a Ryzen with voltage going like that. Is CPU-z the most recent version? It could be a bug.

Use HWInfo (with sensors) and check what the vcore is. It will tell you the min/avg/max. RUn a game and when done see what HWInfo is telling you.

Let us know if you have further issues. Given it's working as intended now, enjoy it as best you can.

Happy gaming :)

Last edited: