In my computer it searches for drives and takes forever?

dicksonjoe

Honorable
May 8, 2015
I noticed everytime when i want to run files off my main hard drive (C:) or H or Z or whatever drive is labeled according to my external drive, it searches for all my drives and it is taking forever. Sometimes I have to reboot my computer in order to see all the drives listed in MY Computer.

Untitled.png

How do I fix this? thanks.

Need more details, what are the specs of the system? What do you mean by "searches for all your drives" exactly? By run files you mean what, a movie, copying something, starting a program, need a bit of details as to exactly what you are trying to do and what happens.

dicksonjoe

Honorable
May 8, 2015

As soon as i click on my computer, it struggles to search my all my drives.

Hi there dicksonjoe,

Even though this overall system slowness could be caused by lots of things, it may be a good idea to start with testing your main drive with a brand specific testing tool. In case the results show that there is something wrong with it, you will need to back up all the data stored on it.
You can run a Disk Check as well: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

Do you face any other performance issues except for this one ?

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

You mean to detect them? How many drives do you have, what models and how are they connected? How long does it take to load all the drive letters? Check for an updated BIOS and chipset driver. Did you try removing one drive at a time to see if any of them are causing the issue?

dicksonjoe

Honorable
May 8, 2015

This is very interesting..I did a windows update and it solved the issue!
Thank you to everyone for helping!