In need of a 80mm PWM CPU fan

Caustic Fox

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hi all. I am currently looking out for a 80mm PWM fan to replace my current 80mm CPU 3-pin fan. From what I managed to find new, there aren't many options out there these days. My main problem is finding one that has similar specs to my current one. I would want a fan that blows atleast 35CFM as my current one is rated at 42CFM. My motherboard (MSI 785GT-e63) uses the 4-pin PWM header.

So, what can I get that meets my criteria. :??:

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
is it because you don't have much space in your case for a different heatsink? i upgraded to a Scythe Katana, it is big, but not so big not to fit in most cases, may want to check it out, 92mm fan on there and quiet,, costs less than 40$
i just use a basic case from Gateway, so i know it isn't anything special.

If I remember right the PWM fans require 4 wires on most of the new stuff. That is probably why you can't find anything in 3 wire.

3-pin Molex connector KK Family
This connector is used when connecting a fan to the motherboard or other circuit board. It is a small thick rectangular in-line female connector with two tabs on the outer-most edge of one long side. The size and spacing of the pin sockets is identical to a standard 3-pin female IC connector. The three pins are used for ground, +12 V power, and a tachometer signal. Molex Part number of receptacle is 22-01-3037. Molex Part number of individual crimp contacts is 08-55-0101.

4-pin Molex connector KK Family
This is a special variant of the Molex KK connector with four pins but with the locking/polarisation features of a 3-pin connector. The additional pin is used for a pulse-width modulation signal to provide variable speed control.[6] These can be plugged into 3-pin headers, but will lose their fan speed control. Molex Part number of receptacle is 22-01-3047. Molex Part number of individual crimp contacts is 08-55-0101.

4-pin Molex connector
This connector is used when connecting the fan directly to the power supply. It consists of two wires (red/12V and black/ground) leading to and splicing into a large in-line 4-pin male-to-female Molex connector.