In need of a cooler for Core 2 Duo

Yupyup

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Well I'm looking for a decent heatsink. Possibly a mild overclock in the future. A lot of people say stock but mine must be broken or something since I get pretty high temps actually using core temp. Right now I'm getting high 40's low 50's.

Basically, looking for something affordable but will pay for something better.

If anyone can recomend me something that will fit in my Sonata II I'd be greatful.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
The AC7 comes with MX-1 pre-applied, it will actually underperform with AS5...

i havent seen that in my experience.
they seem the same.

hey dario i asked in the thermalcompond section . no one replied.
but are you guys going to thermalcycle while testing?

Well, I'm conducting the tests in two locations, in a temperature controlled, humidity regulated labratory and also in my home lab to compare tests under perfect conditions and the tests under normal conditions. I've run so many Prime95 torture tests that I've gotten calls from the UN to stop. I've tested everything from humidity, ambient air temp, ambient case temps, motherboard temps, heatsink temps, weight, mass, volume of pastes applied, methods, time, what I've eaten, even the location of the planets.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Well, I'm conducting the tests in two locations, in a temperature controlled, humidity regulated labratory and also in my home lab to compare tests under perfect conditions and the tests under normal conditions. I've run so many Prime95 torture tests that I've gotten calls from the UN to stop. I've tested everything from humidity, ambient air temp, ambient case temps, motherboard temps, heatsink temps, weight, mass, volume of pastes applied, methods, time, what I've eaten, even the location of the planets.

i dont know man, you sure thats thurough enough. :)

Mondoman

Splendid
If you're getting such high temps, there's an excellent chance the stock hsf isn't installed correctly. Intel's design makes it notoriously easy to not-quite-fully install the pins. It works best to install it on the MB with the MB out of the case, so you can support the back of the MB under the CPU and make sure the pins go all the way through.
Don't forget to clean off the old thermal compound and apply fresh stuff (AS5 if you need to buy some) when you take off the hsf to reinstall it.