In Need of A Red/Black Case And Capture Card

Scoutdrago3

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
I am looking for a Black(Primary)/Red(Secondary) case. I was thinking of the Phantom but I really liked the looks of the 450D? I am not buying this build till Christmas, so do you think Corsair will send out a Black/Red 450D? I liked the H440 but it has no 5.25" external slots so that was a turn off. Is there a way I could mod in some bays? Any tutorials or videos would be appreciated. Also I am looking for a capture card for this build. Best if its 1080p and a PCI/PCIe.

Sorry for writing something this long, should have shortened it. If you read through it, thanks.

Solution
There's a ton of free software, and PWM fans are usually like $1 or $2 more than non-PWM fans and it's worth the price IMO.

As for the recording, I'd just use Fraps as the recording software cause it's how I did it. You need to have two hard drives, and your processor can't be TOO bad, but this works on an FX-6300 so it doesn't need like an i7 or anything. Anyway, the two hard drives. One of them would be your main drive with your OS and your game on it, the second one is where you record your file. You need to go into Fraps and set it to save the video file to the second hard drive and not your main one. Then make sure the "Force lossless RGB capture" but is NOT ticked, and make sure it is set to record a MAXIMUM framerate of 30 FPS...

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
It depends, what did you want to use the bay for? You an get an external USB 3 Blu Ray drive if that's it. The problem is the Red/Black H440 is selling like hot cakes and I can't get one for myself, I check every day!:p But by Christmas they should have it sorted.

What did you want to put in a 5.25 bay?

Scoutdrago3

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
I wanted to in things like the Asus 5.25 inch CPU monitor or the nzxt touch screen fan controller. Also do you have any recommendations for the capture card I'm trying yo keep it as cheap as possible but as long as it can record 1080p gameplay I'm fine.

Thanks for the response :)

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
You should just hook up all your fans through PWM and use software to dynamically adjust your fan profiles. And the Avermedia Live Gamer HD is good but it has terrible ratings because a bad firmware update bricked a bunch of them:p Just don't update your firmware on it:p

Scoutdrago3

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
PWM? What is that. Sorry if its a nooby question, I have almost no idea about fans. Also any recommendation on the fans. And as for the capture card, I am looking for something under maybe $80. I don't know if there are any 1080p captures at that price, but i am not looking for amazing brands, I am looking to have a reliable capture that isn't too expensive.

Thanks for the rapid replies :p

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Most capture cards and PVRs suck under $200 honestly:p Just get a 2nd HDD and use software! I can teach you how to capture with like no framerate loss, it took some trickery but I got mine to work.

PWM fans have 4 wires, others have 3 wires. The PWM fans allow better software fan control. Nearly ALL cpu fans are PWM. Just look for 4 wires or 3 wires to tell the difference!

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
There's a ton of free software, and PWM fans are usually like $1 or $2 more than non-PWM fans and it's worth the price IMO.

As for the recording, I'd just use Fraps as the recording software cause it's how I did it. You need to have two hard drives, and your processor can't be TOO bad, but this works on an FX-6300 so it doesn't need like an i7 or anything. Anyway, the two hard drives. One of them would be your main drive with your OS and your game on it, the second one is where you record your file. You need to go into Fraps and set it to save the video file to the second hard drive and not your main one. Then make sure the "Force lossless RGB capture" but is NOT ticked, and make sure it is set to record a MAXIMUM framerate of 30 FPS. Youtube videos and most TVs only play at 30 FPS anyway so it is just lagging you to record more than that. Also, turn the AA down, 4x is plenty. All of that is how I got mine to work. Before, if I tried to record skyrim, I could get like 10 FPS at lowest settings at 720p, but then with the 2nd drive in I can play 1080p and I record 30 FPS (but my game is playing at 60 FPS) the whole time.

Solution