[SOLVED] In need of advice regarding the switch from a 60hz monitor to a 144hz+ one

Jan 19, 2021
Hello dear expert people, I am looking for tips regarding gaming monitors. I currently own an old 1080p, 60hz, 23.5'' IPS Viewsonic which I might swap with a more modern one in order to try to pull the maximum value out of my new RTX 3060 ti. If you're willing to, would you mind suggesting me a few models that seem particularly worthwhile to you ?
If I buy anything, it's gotta be 1) Full HD, for maximum framerates, which also means, not too big 2) Not too expensive, not like those thousand dollars acer displays I've seen and 3 ) Not TN, preferably IPS for better contrast, colorimetry and viewing angles - I'm very satisfied with the IQ of my current monitor, been doing photo editing with it, that's not what I want to improve, more like smoothness in games and stuff - but feel free to suggest me some other tech, like VA if you've tested it.

My main question, among all this, would be : if I get a 144hz display and I can't reach that amount of fps, what's it gonna feel like ? Is there going to be stutter or tearing ? Or is it gonna be a good thing no matter what ? Following that, assuming that in most games I can stay above 60 fps, but beyond 144hz, would G-Sync be worth it ?

Thank you so much in advance for your help. Cheers, stay safe and have a nice day/evening !

Solution
If you don't reach 144fps on a 144hz display you will feel judder and tearing.
My experience is that is not correct. Never experienced either when fps is under refresh rate and I regularly use 1440p 144Hz monitor on my desktop, 1080p 144Hz laptop and 4k 120Hz TV. Everything I have experienced shows VRR doesn't seem to add anything when fps is >100.
IMO g-sync isn't worth it, because "free-sync" on Nvidia is good enough.
Free-sync eliminates that. You can alternatively temporarily change monitor refresh rate to whatever you want.

As for games you do get 144fps in, it's a treat. Also for the desktop, it just feels better.
I'm getting a 240hz display tomorrow, and I hope it will be even better.

As for specific monitors, The asus TUF VG249Q is IPS, and quite good. It also has a VA counterpart with slightly better darks, but less sharp colors, called the VG24VQ.
LG has good 144hz monitors too, and I and my friend personally had the last generation CRG5 from samsung, which are super good (Though mine died recently so that's something to consider, but warrenty applied and I'm getting a replacement G7 so..)

Jan 19, 2021
IMO g-sync isn't worth it, because "free-sync" on Nvidia is good enough.
Free-sync eliminates that. You can alternatively temporarily change monitor refresh rate to whatever you want.

As for games you do get 144fps in, it's a treat. Also for the desktop, it just feels better.

Ty for your answer. But I thought Free-sync was simply AMD's version of Nvidia's G-sync display tech ?

Ty for your answer. But I thought Free-sync was simply AMD's version of Nvidia's G-sync display tech ?
It is.
Variable refresh rate is a standard built to the DisplayPort spec.
AMD only gave it a name and made it work with HDMI too.
Nvidia enabled the feature using g-sync modules.
Now they enabled using the normal displayport spec (still called free-sync..) on nvidia cards.

G-sync has many meanings now. please look up a chart of which level is what.

My experience is that is not correct. Never experienced either when fps is under refresh rate and I regularly use 1440p 144Hz monitor on my desktop, 1080p 144Hz laptop and 4k 120Hz TV. Everything I have experienced shows VRR doesn't seem to add anything when fps is >100.
I also have a daily driver 144hz 1440p monitor.
At anything above 90 fps, you are correct, it's basically good enough, but at 60fps or lower, I have to have g-sync on or it's garbage.

Reactions: sizzling
Jan 19, 2021
Guess I'll go for a 144hz then. The cheapest ones I could find are G-sync-compatible by default so there is that (24.5'', either Acer Predator XB253 or Asus Nitro VG252) . TY for your answers !

Last edited: