Question In need of guidance with possibly bad HDD?

Feb 19, 2019
I've been having problems with my laptop. For months its been having issues with "programs not responding". I didnt think much of it. Its an older laptop so I figured its just slow. BTW, the laptop is Compaq Presario CQ62, running Win 7. About a week or two ago it got noticebly worse. Programs not responding and also noticed that when I clicked start menu and clicked accesories, the folder wouldnt expand, just show the magnifying glass searching. I knew it was time to be concerned. So I started to transfer some files to an external hdd, the transfer speed showed incredibly slow, like 22 hrs for 10-20 gbs of files. So I stopped the transfer, and decided to not use the laptop until i knew what was going on. After looking up some info on what the problem could be it seemed that a failing HDD was most likely. I need help determining my next course of action. If the HDD is failing, I dont think its too bad off yet. I dont hear any audible clicks or other sounds from it. It still boots up fine.

I did notice awhile back that my date/time had reset mysteriously a cpl times. A lil research pointed me to the cmos battery. But ive read that shouldnt affect hardware. Anyways a cpl days ago i opened the laptop up to look inside, the inside was quite dirty in some areas, so maybe dust got in the hdd. Also the cmos battery looked corroded. I replaced the cmos battery. Maybe none of this matters, thought id mention it just in case.

Whats the best way to go about getting my files off the hdd?

HDD Info.
Seagate Model: ST9500325AS

First off - this sounds more like the typical "home computer for everybody" that is packed with all kind of malware and OS disk is full, file system slightly corrupted and all that. And maybe the drive itself is soon to be dead, in that case you would typically go buy a external storage disk to backup all important files.

When that's done and your personal files is safe, then you go to your nearby computer repair shop, and order a cleanup of the computer.

Feb 19, 2019
Grobe I obviously know I need to back my files up...
I'm looking for the safest way to do that. If my hdd is failing, then that means ive only got so many attempts to do it.

I've been having problems with my laptop. For months its been having issues with "programs not responding". I didnt think much of it. Its an older laptop so I figured its just slow. BTW, the laptop is Compaq Presario CQ62, running Win 7. About a week or two ago it got noticebly worse. Programs not responding and also noticed that when I clicked start menu and clicked accesories, the folder wouldnt expand, just show the magnifying glass searching. I knew it was time to be concerned. So I started to transfer some files to an external hdd, the transfer speed showed incredibly slow, like 22 hrs for 10-20 gbs of files. So I stopped the transfer, and decided to not use the laptop until i knew what was going on. After looking up some info on what the problem could be it seemed that a failing HDD was most likely. I need help determining my next course of action. If the HDD is failing, I dont think its too bad off yet. I dont hear any audible clicks or other sounds from it. It still boots up fine.

I did notice awhile back that my date/time had reset mysteriously a cpl times. A lil research pointed me to the cmos battery. But ive read that shouldnt affect hardware. Anyways a cpl days ago i opened the laptop up to look inside, the inside was quite dirty in some areas, so maybe dust got in the hdd. Also the cmos battery looked corroded. I replaced the cmos battery. Maybe none of this matters, thought id mention it just in case.

Whats the best way to go about getting my files off the hdd?

HDD Info.
Seagate Model: ST9500325AS

First you need to determine what state of health the drive is in. Therefore, you can download and use SeaTools. No matter what the result is, you always need to have a good back up plan in place so if these type of situations creep up on you in the future, you are ready.

Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose.
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for
example).
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Feb 19, 2019
I am using Puppy Linux from a USB drive. So windows programs I cant use, unless i boot and install it to the bad hdd, which probably isnt a good idea. I used Gnome Disks for Linux to check SMART Info on the drive. I'll post those results. I tried to do a self- test with the program but it failed.

file.php

file.php

Another tool at my shortlist is Clonezilla. It is a text based wizard-kind-of way to clone a drive, and as long as you keep using Linux there should ba possible to mount it to extract files (not the primary use anyway) unless you use encrypted drives or user home folders.

I also beleive there is some s.m.a.r.t tools in the UBCD toolkit to test te condition of the drive if you're interresting in that.