In need of I7 8700K cooler £35-55 (with some OC potential)

ovazavo

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
Hi, I recently purchased an i7 8700k, and am in need of a cooler priced £35-55. What kind of OC potential am I looking at for that price?

Originally, I was hoping for something priced under £35 and just wanted to do some light over clocking. But I was informed that getting a Noctua NH-U14S (priced under £60), may be a smarter idea.

The reason I initially wanted something cheap, is because I don't plan to upgrade the GPU right now. The plan was, by the time I upgrade the GPU (no idea when that will be, due to current prices) I would buy a better CPU cooler as well, so I wanted something cheap in the interim, but that's probably not the best idea.

Spec:

Case: CiT F3 mATX case, max CPU cooler height is 160mm
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370M D3H Chipset LGA 1151 V2 mATX DDR4 SDRAM Motherboard
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x 4GB) 3600MHz DDR4
PSU: Corsair CX600M
GPU: Strix Asus GTX 970

Thanks in advance.

Solution
i had a noctua nh-u14s and it's capable of moderate OCing at best - it's a quality cooler, but i had it in well ventilated case, and it did not give me much head room, thermally

i just upgraded to a noctua nh-d15s - the difference was amazing - it brought my temps down 8-9C, and it's height is 160mm with plenty of room for tall ram. - just a suggestion, but why buy two coolers, one now and one when you upgrade - the nh-d15s gives the headroom to grow your system, and gives you the potential to grow your thermal headroom some more by adding a 2nd fan. It's 73 british pounds on amazon uk https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NH-D15S/dp/B00Y7928CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517023266&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua+nh-d15s

but superninja12's...
i had a noctua nh-u14s and it's capable of moderate OCing at best - it's a quality cooler, but i had it in well ventilated case, and it did not give me much head room, thermally

i just upgraded to a noctua nh-d15s - the difference was amazing - it brought my temps down 8-9C, and it's height is 160mm with plenty of room for tall ram. - just a suggestion, but why buy two coolers, one now and one when you upgrade - the nh-d15s gives the headroom to grow your system, and gives you the potential to grow your thermal headroom some more by adding a 2nd fan. It's 73 british pounds on amazon uk https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NH-D15S/dp/B00Y7928CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517023266&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua+nh-d15s

but superninja12's recommendation isn't a bad one
otherwise, look at the Scythe coolers

Solution