[SOLVED] In need of some help regarding TV to Monitor upgrade.

Jun 20, 2020
Hi,

My TV (LG 1080P 60hz) has started to die, I suspect a backlight issue, but figured it was a good time to finally take the plunge into plus 120hz gaming (I know I'm a decade late). Im really struggling with a few points as my current setup may not be accommodating to a 144/165hz monitor. As I don't have a lot of space my PC and satellite box (Sky Q Mini) are currently both connected to an Onkyo TX-SR308 with two passive speakers connected via OFC wire to the receiver also.

Imgur link to current setup diagram.
View: https://i.imgur.com/rOg2WVE.jpg

PC Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
EVGA 2070 Black
16GB DDR4 RAM 3200mhz
Asus Prime B350-M

My first question is really regarding which monitor would be best suited to the specs of my PC? Currently I am thinking of two options, either a Gigabyte G32QC or a Samsung C32JG50FQU, one being a 1440p 165hz monitor, the other a 1080p 144hz monitor. I figure if I go the 1440p route I would need G-Sync due to my specs, but may be okay without G-sync should I go 1080p.

My second question is concerning the setup. As you see from the diagram I have two passive speakers connected to my receiver. Understanding that G-Sync requires a Display Port cable, is it then possible the use the hdmi slot on either my GPU or MOBO to connect to the recevier (as is the case already) and use that solely for audio?

The new setup as a diagaram.
View: https://i.imgur.com/0fjuS7M.jpg

Sorry for this being so long winded, trying to wrap my head around this stuff is like repeatedly headbutting a wall. Thanks for any help anyone could give.

Solution
hi, if u use your onkyo receiver as just a audio device , it wont work that way u want, hdmi audio doesnt work without video signal
so u have to send video signal aswell, u can use screen duplicate which wont affect your ingame FPS and also u avoid wih it issues with extended disaply (which doesnt exist)

that said, this will limit you to 1080p only, as your onkyo cant handle 1440p signal

sooo, since its receiver and u will be using it just for audio from PC while using only 2 speakers (no surround), u can use optical tosslink or analog 3.5mm jack from soundcard to RCA on your receiver
hi, if u use your onkyo receiver as just a audio device , it wont work that way u want, hdmi audio doesnt work without video signal
so u have to send video signal aswell, u can use screen duplicate which wont affect your ingame FPS and also u avoid wih it issues with extended disaply (which doesnt exist)

that said, this will limit you to 1080p only, as your onkyo cant handle 1440p signal

sooo, since its receiver and u will be using it just for audio from PC while using only 2 speakers (no surround), u can use optical tosslink or analog 3.5mm jack from soundcard to RCA on your receiver

Solution
Jun 20, 2020

I read that optical is of much lower quality than HDMI and also my MOBO doesn't seem to have a optical connection port.

If I get the 1080p monitor could I just connect via HDMI to the HDMI output of the receiver (Like I do with my TV) and if so would it limit it to 60hz. The 1080p monitor I was looking at is 144hz, though I don't believe it has any adaptive sync or G-sync, which I know can't be used anyway without a display port cable.