In need of tech support please

G

Hey,
I've got a computer here and everytime I try to get into windows it gives me an

EXPLORER... invalid page fault at <unknown> module
...0000:0080 fed8...bytes at CS:EIP...

It gives me same problem when trying to start in safe-mode. I tried reinstalling (over the previous) Win98 and I get the same thing after everything gets installed. Is this a possible hardware problem?

Oh, I've also made sure that all the cards, processor and memory were fitted correctly. I've also tried taking out the RAM one by one but it made no difference.

I'm exhausted of ideas on what to do without having to reformat.

Comp Specs:
P3 550mhz
128MB Ram - (2) 32MB & (1) 64MB
Daimond Stealth 2

Any one have any ideas?

PS: The error started after getting rid of Norton Antivirus.

I've got another computer where i just installed a HP CDRW. Everytime I try to burn a music cd: sometime during the first 5 minutes of burning Adaptec gives me an error saying something about disk possibly dirty or not compatible. I'm using Memorex CD's and they are brand new. Is this a buffer-underrun? It's happened with all 3 cd's.

"you're killing yourself to stay alive"

G

Sounds pretty ugly. First, check your RAM. As a rule, it's not a good idea to mix types/sizes of RAM (though I've done it before w/o problems). Make sure it's all PC100 or PC133 RAM. OC'ing cheap PC66 RAM to 100 MHz will cause problems. Try booting the system with JUST the 64 MB stick installed. If you still can't boot, I would do a thorough hardware test to rule out the possibility of hardware problems. Do you have any hardware diagnostics? (I use TuffTest, but there are some better ones out there) Be sure to test the HD and RAM thoroughly. If the hardware checks out, it's time to reformat.

I don't know about the CD burner issue. Maybe you're using CD-R media designed for 4X burn speed, and you're burning faster than that?

Good luck.

"Arte es vida"

G

It could have been simply a bad uninstall of Norton Antivirus. I'd try reinstalling Norton Antivirus and see if you still get the error. If not, then trying uninstalling Norton Anti-virus again and see if it works.

Wayne

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Constant 'invalid page' faults can be symptomatic of a memory chip fault.

I would be inclined to point the finger at Norton AV though, it can cause some strange behaviour.

The problem with reinstalling over a previous Windows setup is that registry faults will remain.

I would format and do a fresh Windows intallation before replacing any hardware.