In Pictures: 20 MMORPG Realms You Should Explore

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
All MMORPG's are boring, the only one I stayed with for a while was EVE. It was simply the most compelling. All the others are just repetitive, story moves too slow or is non-existent in some cases.

EVE is actually too time consuming for anyone that has a real life, otherwise I'd still be playing it.

I did enjoy Guild Wars (which my wife got addicted to) for a while as well, it was far more entertaining than LOTRO and Warcraft. She now plays some other stupid free ones with "micro-transactions," what a load of crap that stuff is. People playing these games are getting fleeced and don't even realize it.....

nightcrawl3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I have tried WAR, Aion, LOTRO, and AOC but I always came back to WoW because it's just simply the best! I was addicted to for like 6 months but now I know when to play and when to stop lol

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]I strongly recommend that the list be edited, to add UO at the end. And, of course, the title be changed to note "21" MMORPGs. It still has way more to offer for exploration than the 20 that are listed, even put together.[/citation]

I don't know if I should reload my sphere server or restart my UO subscription. You ARE the king.

/bought UO 10/97

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I don't like multiplayer games and MMORPGs in particular. It's just laziness on the part of the developers to let the users provide characters, AI and content to the game. How can you have a great game when instead of a tight plot and professional voice actors you have these dumb kids running around calling each other n00b and complaining about lag? I want KOTOR 3![/citation]

Try Neverwinter Nights 1 or nwn 2, servers may only be home made ones , but by far and far nwn 1 and nwn 2 are a superior expreince compared to any MMORPG.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
ok on that same note ,i really think bioware did every thign right , with nwn 1 and nwn 2's over all idealology , they gave teh online community , a editor and a server cleint software , bassically nwn 1 and 2 play like mmoprg's when you go onlien , but there are no fees , subcriptions , or charges past the inital cost of the game. it's relaly a d--- shame that both nwn 1 and 2 are fading in popularity (funny though that nwn 1 took so logn to loose players) nwn 1 is now about 9-10 years old , and nwn 2 is about 4-5 years old ood thing is even with it losing popularity nwn 1 still packs more palyers per server than nwn 2 does. the saddest thing is , after nwn 1 and 2 are compeltely off teh scene , i doubt there wil ever be anotehr game like it , where paleyrs can make and run thier own online servers,

lakelucid

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I've played half of the mentioned games, and I'm gonna say evercrack tops the list with wow coming close second. The others were interesting, but does not have a good player base.

G

Who made this list?
Some burned-out politican with no sense of anything?

Lots of games should NOT be on this list while lots of others should.
This is a really horrible list and shoule be totally re-written by a person who at least know what MMO stands for (and what a game is).

G

3 games missed that should of been in there, but I guess were omitted becasue they have nothing to do with elves and the like...

I-racing
The Hunter
World War 2 online (battleground Europe)

Cant believe they havent been mentioned.

G

Well.. i dont see here the best MMORPG of all times: ENTROPIA UNIVERSE. Is this only a merchadising of certain bussiness?? You must include Entropia Universe if you want to have a good list!!!

G

They forgot EVE, Ultima Online... but I miss Ryzom and Vanguard too.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I prefer artificial idiots to real ones, so I only play single-player RPG's. Unfortunately they are pretty rare these days, especially really good ones. I guess it's because it's so much easier to implement copy-protection in an online-only game.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Personally I'm not a big MMO fan, I prefer a great story and about 40-80 hours of game time before I get bored. Most games seem a waste of time with developer created quests that nobody is really interested in. The only game I have tried and actually enjoyed was EVE online. You join or create your corporation (guild) and then the users create the bulk of the story and drama. Plus the systems for mining, manufacturing, etc are complex enough to keep you interested even after you have done things several times. The leveling system is great too. Your abilites are limited by how long you have played, but you can still do things by working smart rather than having skills trained. There is just always a better way to do things, and that is what keeps you coming back.
Sadly, the $12/mo is a bit rich for my blood when there are real life situations that keep you busy, and real life takes all your money. Still, it's a fun game that isn't plagued by middle schoolers!

G

Hummm... strangle that one of the most deep MMORPG's - EVE online - did not make this list. It probably gives the serious gamer the most bang for buck of any of these games. But its one of those games you either love or hate.

G

As far as free MMOs are concerned, the only one that's ever held my interest was Sword of the New World (Grandado Espada). I particularly enjoy the many stances (fighting styles) the characters are able to acquire over the course of the game. I also enjoy collecting "character cards", which allow you to add different characters to your party beyond the vanilla Fighter, Scout, Wizard, etc.

G

here are GW1 and Lineage but not Aion what is this ??? No Ultima heck even Mu Online

G

Regnum Online is also missing in the list. R.O. has a RvR system which makes a lot of fun. PvE is a bit boring and takes time though.

A lot of users play it for free, others buy premium items to level up faster or also for better appearance, slightly better items etc. And also a nice feature: there is also a Linux client of this game!

dkArchon

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
What many may fail to notice, is that most of the MMORPG's missing on this "article" have no adds running on Tom's site. Free to play MMORPG's have advertisements all over Toms, and, interestingly enough, a heavy showing in this list. Eve Online used to have advertisements on Tom's often, but haven't seen any for some time. Even though Eve won best MMORPG of the year just last year it is somehow missing from this list.

Is there a correlation? You be the judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS