In Pictures: 2011, A Year In Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

basbarian

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Thanks Toms! For another year of great reading, youre a ficture on my desktop an it ain't going nowhere! keep it up and best wishes for next year.

(its a clock, a very cool one :) )

let us also note that Toms has improved much throughout the year; finally using spell check, and getting better with grammar. I dont mean to be insulting, It was really bad there for a while, and we really do appreciate the care and the quality of work you have put out in this last quarter!
We also appreciate the removal/blocking/banning of the stupid adds in the comments. Bravo to the tech team on that one!

Looking forward to 2012! Keep up the good work!

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
The sad thing that if we look at a similar article (focusing on tech) from a mainstream media source, the only person's death they take note of is Steve Jobs, and entirely neglect Dennis Ritchie. And here, we see Jobs mentioned in passing, and Ritchie accompanied by numerous other luminaries who perhaps rivaled him in their contributions. (who likewise got zero mention in major newspapers, magazines, and TV) So good work, Tom's, on not letting us down here: we enthusiasts know who really mattered when it comes to technology. We'd mostly all still be here, reading and commenting, had there been no Steve Jobs.

If I were to boil it down to what impacted the tech industry the most, I'd bring it down to these points:

- Memory prices way down, HDD prices way up. While the Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami was likewise a very tragic disaster and more costly, (in both lives and dollars) it's the Thai floods that really punched tech in the gut, spiking our HDD prices, and eating up all the savings we got from unprecedented DRAM price drops.
- Intel finally makes Nehalem worthwhile with the 2500K. In all honesty, the Nehalem i5s and i7s just weren't appealing enough, given all the drawbacks and controversy with them originally, to have made them a solid choice. The 2500K, (and 2600K to a lesser extent) changed that, by giving both excellent overclocking capability, as well as perhaps the best higher-end price-for-performance ratio since Intel's Wolfdale-core E8400... From four years ago.
- Bulldozer finally releases; isn't a bust, but many disappointed. For such hype, it did fail to deliver: the next "Athlon64 vs. Preshot" was what most wound up trumpeting it as. With a slight apparent decrease in per-clock power, it was leapt upon and torn to shreds. Still, given all considerations, it perhaps shows a lot of promise... Let's just hope AMD can scale it quickly, including getting out the 3.9 GHz 8170 soon. (and possibly a 4.2 GHz 8190 might not be too much to ask for, given 5.0 GHz isn't out of the question for 8150s with decent air)
- Dennis Ritchie Dies. Oh, and a number of other pioneers, particularly Daniel McCracken and John McCarthy, also died... If Steve Jobs' death meant anything to the tech industry, it was more perhaps as a sign that Apple would, in all likelihood, start contracting and eventually return to their obscurity during the non-Jobs era of the 1990s.
- Android (and iOS) devices set fire. Smartphones and tablets have gone, at first, from niche devices, and just until last year, were still more "premium." Now, smartphones are practically considered "standard," even for the non-technically inclined.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Gamer-girl[/nom]Maybe adding a Edit button the comments section can be a 2012 highlight? lol[/citation]
Click the "View comments on the forums" link that appears at the top of the comments section. There, you'll be able to edit your comments. Of course, it may feel a little cumbersome, but you shouldn't need to edit repeatedly. The only real downside is that it only works for Tom's Hardware: on Tom's Guide, (which a lot of article links on the front page go to) you can't edit your posts there for some reason.

The disasters really strike at my heart every time I see the images. More than anything I think the flooding in Thailand and disaster in Japan forced us to realize that a handful of countries holds the key to our technological life.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Have a happy new year Tom's, you've taught me a lot about computer sciences and electronics in the last 8 months... i dare say that i don't think i'd learn this much at college.

*respect* :)

Lokster1

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Waiting for HDD prices to come back down to get a storage drive for my new build, hopefully it won't take them long to get back in full swing.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]let us also note that Toms has improved much throughout the year; finally using spell check, and getting better with grammar. I dont mean to be insulting, It was really bad there for a while, and we really do appreciate the care and the quality of work you have put out in this last quarter! We also appreciate the removal/blocking/banning of the stupid adds in the comments. Bravo to the tech team on that one!Looking forward to 2012! Keep up the good work![/citation]

Ha. You'd be surprised by the amount of editing that goes into an article. You can thank our grand pooba and Editor in Chief, Chris Angelini for doing a great job on that end. Be sure to follow him on twitter if you want an active role in shaping our future articles or need one on one PC advice (@chris_angelini).

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]The sad thing that if we look at a similar article (focusing on tech) from a mainstream media source, the only person's death they take note of is Steve Jobs, and entirely neglect Dennis Ritchie. And here, we see Jobs mentioned in passing, and Ritchie accompanied by numerous other luminaries who perhaps rivaled him in their contributions. (who likewise got zero mention in major newspapers, magazines, and TV) [/citation]

Well I certainly wouldn't fault Apple for the focus on Steve. That's really the media's problem. For all of Apple's problems, it's still an interesting company producing excellent products. I'd actually point to Steve's interview with Gates, and Mossberg, which was pretty darn insightful. Jobs admitted that Apple was a software company! Some of us in the lab are programmers or video editors, so we use Macs and PCs. There's certainly room for both in this world. ;)

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]basbarian[/nom]Thanks Toms! For another year of great reading, youre a ficture on my desktop an it ain't going nowhere! keep it up and best wishes for next year.(its a clock, a very cool one )[/citation]

Yup it's a Nixie clock counting down to midnight.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]Yup it's a Nixie clock counting down to midnight.[/citation]You know, the only thing better than a nixie clock is a steampunk nixie clock... Just sayin'. ;)

I also am glad to be a part to the Tom's Hardware community. Looking forward to an exciting 2012!

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]Click the "View comments on the forums" link that appears at the top of the comments section. There, you'll be able to edit your comments. Of course, it may feel a little cumbersome, but you shouldn't need to edit repeatedly. The only real downside is that it only works for Tom's Hardware: on Tom's Guide, (which a lot of article links on the front page go to) you can't edit your posts there for some reason.[/citation]
What, Tom's Guide has comments? Or just in the forums? I've never really seen anything when scrolling down, if it's really just forum, please make a comments section like this one.

G

First thing that came to mind was Steve Jobs' passing and the quiet that spread across the office at Tom's. A lot of self-reflection and observation that day.

Live life to the fullest and enjoy the next year. Lots of surprises and innovation will always make it the best. Happy New Year!!!

Enjoy!

Julio
TomsITPro.com

spellbinder2050

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Wow. I didn't even know that Dennis Richie had died. It's crazy how all the news floods stuff about Steve Jobs and never mentioned Dennis Richie. What a shame.

Also, Skyrim feels sluggish when the graphics are maxed out. It's one of the most demanding games to date at high fidelity.

happy 2012. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.