In Pictures: Getting Connected To Next-Gen Home Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]richboyliang[/nom]I wonder how necessary a security system is in an affluent neighborhood[/citation]

Burglar alarm ... probably not necessary. Well other than for specific high cost items and any home safes.

Weather (as in this instance), Water (as in water tank failed), Gas (as in gas line failed), Fire (many systems have integrated fire detection), CO Detection, Nanny/Family Cam (to make sure the kids aren't having a party while your out) and maybe Line Disruption Warning (phone/power not working - network/wifi ?) ... could be useful.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]richboyliang[/nom]I wonder how necessary a security system is in an affluent neighborhood[/citation]

Frankly, very. I have friends who live on golf courses in a neighborhood patrolled by two security trucks who've been broken into. The fact that it's affluent paints an even larger target on it. The challenge is overcoming the security, so you end up with a more skilled thief.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Thats where the money is at. Who is going to rob the ghettos?

where there is valuable stuff, crooks will try to find a way to get at said stuff. The #1 best protection anyone can have is window blinds to keep people from seeing the more valuable stuff. Most thieves know exactly what they are going for before they break in because they know they have at least 5 minutes before anyone will be there to stop them no matter how good the security system is. Sure, you want it to be a pain in the ass for a thief to get into your house (it is soooo easy to take a whole window out, completely bypassing most magnetic alarms mounted to the housing of the window instead of the window and the sil/wall), but if they know what they want and have a plan there is no alarm on earth that is going to keep them away.
The #2 best protection anyone can have is good relationships with their neighbors who know you, know what your friends look like, and are not crooks themselves.
#3, if someone really wants your stuff, they will get your stuff. Prevention is largely based on intimidation. The real trick is catching someone's face and/or actions on camera. Not having night vision on a $4000 system would have been a dealbreaker for me. That is just really dumb. Your average $20 piece of crap pinhole camera has night vision, there is no excuse to not have it in a $150 camera.
#4 where prevention fails, recovery is most important. Everything of value that you own of value should have a marking on it that you can prove to be yours. Back in high school and college it was as simple as putting some nail polish in an obscure place that you document, but nobody else knows about. Then when your bike/laptop/whatever is stolen you can show the cops a picture and easily identify the item as yours. As you get older there are more advanced ways of doing this, but the general rule applies. I recovered my bike 3 times back in college with this method. Thankfully that was all that was ever stolen.

Anywho, I think my point is that for the average person living in an apartment or 3 bedroom house in a suburb, the bulk of your security money should be in documentation and recovery, with just a little bit invested in prevention and active protection because the monthly premium that comes with that $4000 system will likely add up to more than would ever be stolen in the first place for most of us.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]where there is valuable stuff, crooks will try to find a way to get at said stuff. The #1 best protection anyone can have is window blinds to keep people from seeing the more valuable stuff. Most thieves know exactly what they are going for before they break in because they know they have at least 5 minutes before anyone will be there to stop them no matter how good the security system is. Sure, you want it to be a pain in the ass for a thief to get into your house (it is soooo easy to take a whole window out, completely bypassing most magnetic alarms mounted to the housing of the window instead of the window and the sil/wall), but if they know what they want and have a plan there is no alarm on earth that is going to keep them away.The #2 best protection anyone can have is good relationships with their neighbors who know you, know what your friends look like, and are not crooks themselves.#3, if someone really wants your stuff, they will get your stuff. Prevention is largely based on intimidation. The real trick is catching someone's face and/or actions on camera. Not having night vision on a $4000 system would have been a dealbreaker for me. That is just really dumb. Your average $20 piece of crap pinhole camera has night vision, there is no excuse to not have it in a $150 camera.#4 where prevention fails, recovery is most important. Everything of value that you own of value should have a marking on it that you can prove to be yours. Back in high school and college it was as simple as putting some nail polish in an obscure place that you document, but nobody else knows about. Then when your bike/laptop/whatever is stolen you can show the cops a picture and easily identify the item as yours. As you get older there are more advanced ways of doing this, but the general rule applies. I recovered my bike 3 times back in college with this method. Thankfully that was all that was ever stolen.Anywho, I think my point is that for the average person living in an apartment or 3 bedroom house in a suburb, the bulk of your security money should be in documentation and recovery, with just a little bit invested in prevention and active protection because the monthly premium that comes with that $4000 system will likely add up to more than would ever be stolen in the first place for most of us.[/citation]

#1 document everything

most people are lazy as hell in this regard, everything of mine of reasonable value that wont degrade (as in lose value fast or naturally be used up) i have the serial numbers, and photos, and a safty deposit box with a usb duplicate.

#2 insure everything for more than its worth

make damn sure everything you own is documented and insured for more than its worth. my speakers arent great, they cost me about 250$, but if they were stolen, it would cost me 1000$ to get an exact replacement.

#3 have a list of small items.

i'm in the process of finding software to record the bar codes of all my games, dvds, and other valuable coded items, dvds and games are easy to get rid of because no one really thinks twice that this may be stolen

#4 prepare for the worst

no mater the lock, no matter the security system, it can be broken in seconds by someone skilled.
no current lock that i know of is bump proof, most being broken into in less than 5 seconds.

#5 who wants your crap

the average theif who is an opertunist, or the master thief who spent time planing? a loud alarm may scare off the opertunist, but the master knows what they want, and will get it. do you want them gone, or do you want them to stay a while thinking they beat the alarm. silent alarm, or loud noise... its a tough choice.

#6 the one and only camera you need

a camera on the door, that activates the moment it sees more than 15% movement, and records sound, with a hq mic. this way you get the face, and the voice of who went in your home

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]#4 prepare for the worst
no matter the lock, no matter the security system, it can be broken in seconds by someone skilled. no current lock that i know of is bump proof, most being broken into in less than 5 seconds.[/citation]
You didn't visit the link on bump keying.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
In my opinion, marketing departments at security firms sell their product by promoting insecurity. Unless you are in a notoriously high crime area, odds are that you will never need the "service" that these devices provide. The benefit from these is quicker response should anything happen.

There are means to make your home more secure that the monthly fee for these would pay for in no time:

1. Buy steel doors as they are very difficult to knock down.
2. Ensure that those doors have deadbolts.
3. Ensure you have smoke and CO2 detectors.

Over and above those three things, a security system only buys you faster response time - IF - you have the system armed. If you disarm the system while you are home, then even if someone breaks in or you have a fire, if I am not mistaken, then you lose the advantage of the response time.

Making money on these systems means making potential customers feel insecure, or exploiting feelings of insecurity that already exist. They are, essentially, "insurance policies," where the provider of the insurance bets that you will never need the services.

In my opinion, the question becomes what is it worth to you? Is it worth paying for services that may never be needed for that "sense" of security even if the sense garnered from these systems is false?

andywork78

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I like that front door lock system. other then that too much i guess. However good stuff. Person who looking for little bit more safe then what they have in there house this will be the best choice.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
pretty cool at all the wireless features (door knob / controlling HVAC) -- but man that's a pretty ghetto looking way to connect the power,, my security system has a main panel in my basement where the brains actually are and has a giant batter (the kind that are in those giant flashlights) that covers as a failsafe,, power to all the units come from main panel to the control panel, smoke detectors & carbon monoxide, sump & contacts - no batteries required for the auxillary devices at all,,,

I do like the idea of the functionality of how the system works, just not the base it sits on.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Magnetic sensors are just comically easy to defeat.All one does is use a compass to find the magnet/where the sensor is,and just put a very powerful magnet from the outside of the door to defeat the sensor.Secure your magnet in its place.Voila the door can be entered either through forcing or picking the lock.Lot's of other sensors can be easily defeated as well in other ways.

G

System looks awesome however if you google Vivint/APX alarm, nothing but horror stories come up. I saw a commercial for this system and saw how cool it looked but after researching, I was like heck no

G

My wife went for a Vivint system, as good as any do it yourself wireless system IMHO, and while internet/smart phone control and viewing work fine the low light capability of these cameras is comical. Wireless cameras with IR are common, I don't get why Zivint has not figured this out. Unless my burglar is kind enough to turn on the lights my footage is worthless...Oh wait...let me turn on the lights by remote....geez. Oh..and the motion detectors...even on lowes setting multiple false alarms due to cat...come on, cat prrof motion snsors have been around a while...so Vivints answer was to tape paper over the motion sensors. AAAARRRRGGGG!

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
So lets see if you are once of worst case scenario baddies, the perp cuts the phone(no effect, my phone wire was decommissioned years ago) Cuts the power, that has an effect of automating a text message, but does kill the system or my cameras that are on UPS, cuts the internet cable (that does take out the cameras), and results in another text message. He sneaks inside past all the sensors with a combination of destruction and stealth. In carting my 65" 3d TV out the back door he is shot in the back by my neighbor, this has the unfortunate effect breaking my TV, because this is Missouri. Whatever.

G

My alarm is simple... 200db air horns that go off when a window or door is opened - motion sensor trigger too. If the thief breaks in... he'll be deaf in 5 seconds... Me...I'm already deaf.... born deaf. Next, high powered lasers that will cut thru cloths and skin - probably to the bone just by walking thru them. I like my security system... just don't like my electric bill. Oh, it has a battery/generator backup. Whole system costs 100,000.00 US dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.