In Pictures: Science Fiction Technology We Want For Real

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I think it's funny just how many of the "science fiction technologies" on your list come from Star Trek. If you want kick ass futuristic gadget pron, Star Trek is definitely the place to go. Transporters, shields, Replicators, Holodecks, photon torpedoes, WARP DRIVE?!... damn I'm having an epic flash back through the 90's.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]Also, the last picture is missing - it ends with 19 of 20. Or perhaps the count is wrong?[/citation]

yes, 7 of 9 MIA :)

G

Bah, I just want a self-drying jacket and self-tying sneakers ala Back to the Future 2. And flux capacitor > tardis. :p

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
RoboCop as such is a nifty idea, but I think it really needs to be combined with the cognitive AI to function properly.
There's a myriad of situations where breaking a law might be better than not breaking one, and the police officer must be empathic with such situations and handle them well. (Think of the Judge Dredd movie, where a poor guy flee from some thugs by hiding inside a robot, only to be arrested by Dredd for that offence.)

Also, in the RoboCop movie there's a scene where RoboCop stop a robber in a grocery store, and RoboCop completely demolish most of the store's interior instead of making a clean arrest. That's not how I want a cop to behave!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I'm surprised they didn't mention space ships or something, I like halo's for showing how most architectures would design ships, they understand they don't need to be aerodynamic in space but they need room and power.

Just like buildings.

G

95% movie/tv based. Would it kill you to read a SF book.

Then your imagination might not be so limited.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]custodian-1[/nom]You could have mention the Tri-corder, and communicator from Star Trek (TOS) which we have all ready.[/citation]

No we don't.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks for the new picture story format. Way easier to read and navigate!

I guess the power ring would be the obvious choice, seeing it can do basically anything. However, there's just something about a lightsaber and a hoverboard...

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]drakhie[/nom]Where's the Telepod from 'The Fly' movie?[/citation]

Who needs a pod when you have a transporter? The pod requires one on each end of the transport, where a transporter is only required on one end. But I would bet that if they ever do become real, the pod will come first and then the transporter much later.

G

I always wanted Batman's utility belt. It had everything you could ever ned.

"Good thing I brought the shark repellent Robin"

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"The drawback to the TARDIS is that it's stuck in its 1950s-style police box shape. Thus, it stands out when appearing anywhere after the 50s. "

Apparently not a big 'Who' fan. The TARDIS has a 'perception filter' which convinces peopel that it isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.