In Pictures: The Art Of Video Games @ The Smithsonian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Star Fox Assult? Seriously? Really should have put Metroid Prime under "Target" and Smash Bros. Melee under "Action" instead.

And no Sonic platformer for the Genesis?! What about BLAST PROCESSING?!

EDIT: Oh, no wonder. Looking at the nominees, Melee never even got nominated (wat), and the only Sonic platformer nominated was Sonic CD - the one most people never got to play.

If they were smart, they'd re-evaluate the consoles that are 2001 and newer in say, 10-20 years since it'll be considerably more obvious which games have stood the test of time as notable. This is especially true for the current generation systems which still have some big titles coming out (Xenoblade in particular comes to mind).

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Very happy to see the Master System in there (my first console), but even happier to see three Panzer Dragoon titles, of which I am currently replaying Saga (my favourite game ever).

Super_Nova

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Great to see Gradius V, Panzer Dragoon series, Rez and Spy vs Spy (loved those games) and I agree they withstood the test of time very well but where are f.i. Radiant Silvergun and Nights in to dreams (Saturn)? I also miss something about arcade games throughout the years.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]Spy vs spy?????[/citation]

The reason Star Fox was chosen because it was an actual 3D game on SNES, which at the time had just a simple 16bit processor. It pushed the limits of the system.

Yes I agree that missing Sonic for Sega Genesis was not good choice. Though Earthworm Jim was very popular back then.

allawash

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Anybody who owned a Saturn and played Guardian Heroes knows it should have been listed for action on that console. Hands down the best sides scrolling action game I ever played.

Tooki

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Why is Flower included in the "Five Games That Changed Gaming." I can think of about 50 games that were more influential than Flower right off the top of my head.

I am glad that Dune made the list but just not where I wanted. Second where is the Amiga, no history or exhibit is complete without the Amiga. I feel cheated in a way by reading this and seams very very bare bones with no meat or very little sustenance.

fedelm

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I am glad that Dune made the list [/citation]

Ah...good old Dune 2. The first game I ever managed to beat.

Except with the fckng Ordos, that was a hard campaign!!

I agree: how did MC get on the list? Wtf?

And even though it's a game I've never played, I guess WOW should be there too, right? It has been greatly influencial (for better or worse).

Cheers.

G

oh c'mon, How can "Contra" not be on the list for 8bit Nintendo? FFS they made t-shirts out of the cheat code! Say it with me: up up down down left right left right a b a b

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I just want to say eat it Roger Ebert! Roger Ebert claimed video games are not art. Well here they are in the Smithsonian Art Museum. The man is a fool.

I also wanted to add that they are taking this on tour. I have to wait until 2013, but it will be a nice walk down memory lane.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]ck44[/nom]oh c'mon, How can "Contra" not be on the list for 8bit Nintendo? FFS they made t-shirts out of the cheat code! Say it with me: up up down down left right left right a b a b[/citation]
It's actually up up down down left right left right B A

This list brings back a lot of memories! There's some titles that I regret never taking the time to try. I think I'll borrow my friend's PS2 and fire Shadow of the Colossus.

lp231

Splendid
While some games deserves their spot to be on the list, most of the games that made it are voted by idiots. They're probably voted by those who never played any of them or just pick it because it's recently popular.
If there is a exhibit of coffee, many would pick StarBucks. >_>
At least Angry Birds isn't in there...

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I loved the master system, I remember dusting it off sometime back in 2001 and plugging in the wrong power adapter and frying it. DAMMIT!!!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Missing (at least on this list, but maybe at the exhibit):
Odyssey 1 and Odyssey2 consoles. The O1 was the first home console. The O2 had speech and a keyboard. Its pacman looked and played better than the Atari2600 "pacman"

The Amiga 1000 and perhaps 500 belong there.

The Atari 400/600/800 were fine 8bit computers, but were very expensive compared to the C=64 which came out a bit after.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]I loved the master system, I remember dusting it off sometime back in 2001 and plugging in the wrong power adapter and frying it. DAMMIT!!![/citation]
My Megadrive's PSU cable broke, so I ended up using the Master System's PSU which is enough to make it run. Both are set up and I can use them at any time. :)

And the Master System 2 was a waste of time - bulbous, no reset button, no card slot? Dear me.

Status
Not open for further replies.