In Pictures: The Automotive Technologies We Saw At CES 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I always find it strange that Tom's never seems to include or at least take a look at a Tesla Roadster or Model S for one of these Car Tech articles...

At the very least they referenced the Model S on page 16.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Nintendo Maniac 64[/nom]You'd think the Tesla Model S would be perfect for one of these Car Tech articles, but Tom's never seems to include it nor take a look at it...At the very least they refereed to it on page 16.[/citation]
I spent time in the Tesla Model S, but it's not exactly new.
The folks at Tesla offered to loan us one of two press vehicles in the U.S., so we'll put up a story if we're able to get Tuan down to Los Angeles at some point for a week ;-)

Nintendo Maniac 64

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
No no no, you're not supposed to quote my post while I'm editing it for better legibility! >_>

Regardless...

6 months is old? I know the tech world moves fast, but even smart phones don't have new models to that amount of frequency.

Nevertheless, there's always the Model X. :p

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
was sad there wasn't much in the way of self driving cars only one about drivers assist. personalyl i like driving and have a manual transmission in my truck car and motorcycle (not that there are many options on a biek for automatic outside of scooters) but for long trips it'd be nice to rent a self driving car, heck if priced with i might replace my car with one for those rush hour type situations where i am just stuck in traffic and going nowhere

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Funny, thats why we came to CES too ;) The car scares me - I don't think I'm capable of pushing the car beyond its limits, it has more grip than I'm willing to push it.

It went into production 6 months ago, but they've been dragging it around the auto show circuit since 2009. Model X does look cool though.

The e-Tron Quattro made its racing debut last year at the 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps and took first and second place.

Infiniti has some cool tech that is getting there and we'll have an article on that soon.

G

Aftermarket gauge cluster similar to the one they posted needs to come out... I'd buy one

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Also you are right, corrected.

downsb

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
ACTUALLY, wireless charging ability is something that's already IN the market... The 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited has an optional Qi wireless charger in it.

=]

g-unit1111

Titan

When I bought my Altima there was a GTR in the showroom, and I was looking at it and the finance guy told me that you'd need to sell a kidney to be able to afford one, and I said "hey it's worth it." :lol:

There's some cool stuff there - but really you do not need to access a web browser while you're driving. I can imagine some moron getting pulled over "Oh sorry officer, I'm updating my Facebook status." :sarcastic:

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Nintendo Maniac 64[/nom]I always find it strange that Tom's never seems to include or at least take a look at a Tesla Roadster or Model S for one of these Car Tech articles...At the very least they referenced the Model S on page 16.[/citation]
Many of Tom's car articles are taken from their other site "The Torque Report." There are quite a few articles about the Tesla there.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Nintendo Maniac 64[/nom]I always find it strange that Tom's never seems to include or at least take a look at a Tesla Roadster or Model S for one of these Car Tech articles...At the very least they referenced the Model S on page 16.[/citation]

Maybe because the last person to honestly review a Tesla vehicle was sued. Nevermind the range of a Tesla, any Tesla, is little more than 200 miles, on flat ground, with no winds. According to Tesla themselves. Then you have a charge time of 16hrs or more from a standard socket. By the time anyone got to CES, leaving a 3 days before CES began, they'd miss half of it! Electric cars are the worst thing for Road Trips. But I won't deny their absolutely tits for people driving 100 miles or less daily in theory.

G

STOP USING THAT AWFUL SLIDESHOW. How hard is it?!?!?! Are you trying to tell us to bounce off these pages and back into google's arms? WTF is wrong with you people?!

Nintendo Maniac 64

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Top Gear = Honesty?

Uhh... Top Gear is entertainment first and facts second. If Top Gear were "honest" and not focused primarily on entertainment then the Ford GT90 truly only has a top speed of 40mph:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BjC4tbvpyI

Basically, you can take Clarkson's praises as factual, but a lot of his criticizing is not much more than trolling.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I totally forgot about the Avalon, though it looks better than a Camry, most of Toyotas lineup is fairly forgettable.

you can sell a kidney to get one, but you'll have to sell the rest of your body to maintain it. Ceramic brakes are not cheap to replace (Black Edition).

Which generation Altima did you get? The Atom-based system used in the current generation definitely piques my interest.

And people already text and facebook while driving :p

Clarkson is an entertainer and troll of the trio, granted he is brilliant at it.

raddoctor

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
Would love to see Tom's take on the GTR. I'm on my second. I had a 2009 that I modified to 550 AWHP with downpipes, custom exhaust and no cats. Now I am in a 2013 with only an ECU flash from a Cobb accessport and making around 515 AHWP. The 2013 drives much smoother. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my GTR. BUT, that new Corvette has my mouth watering a little. :)!

g-unit1111

Titan
you can sell a kidney to get one, but you'll have to sell the rest of your body to maintain it. Ceramic brakes are not cheap to replace (Black Edition).

Ouch, yeah I can bet maintenance on those isn't cheap. :lol:

Which generation Altima did you get? The Atom-based system used in the current generation definitely piques my interest.

I traded my '07 for a '13 - well worth the upgrade if you ask me!

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Did you get it with the navigation system? I haven't played with it in person quite yet but there is one in the Pacific Northwest Fleet I might grab for a week.

Its coming ;) The stock Black Edition has more power than we knew what to do with. The car scares me - it had more grip than I was willing to push it. It totally boggles my mind how something so big and heavy can be so fast with so much grip. The road manners were also surprising, I expected back-breaking pain but it was a fairly comfortable ride.

The new Corvette is alright, I feel its a tad overstyled with excess lines, which is why I prefer the SRT Viper in terms of ooks.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Yawn. Unimpressed by what I saw. I'm all for HUDs in cars (hey it might actually help to make drivers pay attention to what's going on outside their car?) and for digital gauges (they save space, weight, and presumably save money) but a lot of this stuff looks gaudy and cheap. In other words, not only is it ugly but what's the real point in some of it? Show me something practical that I can use. There's a reason that car manufacturers rarely use most of the concepts in their concepts cars. There's just no reason to. Most of the stuff is just not what people really want or need.

Status
Not open for further replies.