News In Pursuit of 3 GHz: Inno3D Unveils RTX 4090 with Pre-Installed Liquid Cooling

BX4096

Reputable
Aug 9, 2020
Seems like a no-brainer. Considering how much people have to deal with overheating cards even without overclocking, I'm surprised that every major card manufacturer doesn't have models with liquid cooling preinstalled.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Seems like a no-brainer. Considering how much people have to deal with overheating cards even without overclocking, I'm surprised that every major card manufacturer doesn't have models with liquid cooling preinstalled.
It's something I look for and would want, but my 3080 cooler is so large that I don't have any noise complaints and it fits in my case just barely. So there's really no reason to use the water cooling. The biggest issue with most of the companies is they want $200, $300, $400 for the additional cooler and on a card that lists for $1599. That's getting to be ridiculous. The water cooler should be like 50 to 100 bucks, Max, as the ginormous fan and vapor chamber heat sinks should be worth something and you're swapping those for a water block. I don't need RGB or any of that garbage. I just want a video card that comes in a simple brown box with a simple water block for a simple low price.

Oct 10, 2022
It's something I look for and would want, but my 3080 cooler is so large that I don't have any noise complaints and it fits in my case just barely. So there's really no reason to use the water cooling. The biggest issue with most of the companies is they want $200, $300, $400 for the additional cooler and on a card that lists for $1599. That's getting to be ridiculous. The water cooler should be like 50 to 100 bucks, Max, as the ginormous fan and vapor chamber heat sinks should be worth something and you're swapping those for a water block. I don't need RGB or any of that garbage. I just want a video card that comes in a simple brown box with a simple water block for a simple low price.

After I realized how horrible the fan curves were on my 3080 FE I broke down and bought a second-hand water block and I'll likely never look back. I'll probably never buy FE again because for some reason there's a PREMIUM on those waterblocks. IMO waterblocks shouldn't be a premium or niche product because they're a necessity to run the card properly without either being very loud or very hot. At least for FE. Surely waterblocks are cheaper to produce than those convoluted air coolers. Nvidia should be offering waterblocks on the FE series cards and encouraging board partners to make reasonably priced watercooled variants. Like yesterday. I don't get why they're propping up the likes of EKWB who is known to not be consumer friendly.

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
After I realized how horrible the fan curves were on my 3080 FE I broke down and bought a second-hand water block and I'll likely never look back.

I suspect we're basically within a generation of liquid cooling going full mainstream. Even upper mid range CPUs will provide significant noise benefits to a liquid setup.

For me the biggest draw back is simply the risks of liquid. I wonder what the possibility of truly leak proof couplings might be.

Oct 21, 2022
After I realized how horrible the fan curves were on my 3080 FE I broke down and bought a second-hand water block and I'll likely never look back. I'll probably never buy FE again because for some reason there's a PREMIUM on those waterblocks. IMO waterblocks shouldn't be a premium or niche product because they're a necessity to run the card properly without either being very loud or very hot. At least for FE. Surely waterblocks are cheaper to produce than those convoluted air coolers. Nvidia should be offering waterblocks on the FE series cards and encouraging board partners to make reasonably priced watercooled variants. Like yesterday. I don't get why they're propping up the likes of EKWB who is known to not be consumer friendly.
Agreed its a racket , nearly 300$ CAD for most EKWB's.
why ? its literally a milled piece of copper the same fitment as their normal heatsinks and a plastic top milled to funnel water.
they should partner with Thermaltake or someone newer (or do it in house) and get it down to at least 50$ markup at most considering they wont be spending $$ on the other design which imho is more complicated.

And also not only having the flagship product being water blocked would be nice for a change sometimes we just want the basic model but water-cooled because people already have everything else.

I know lots of people that want to water-cool but cost is prohibitive yet everything always just runs better under water imho.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Nvidia won't do this because they don't want to deal with the after sales support of water. If it's a niche then mostly people that know what they are getting in to will buy it. If this were mainstream, could you just imagine the problems and complaints from Joe average? Plug and play is where they want to be.

Sep 23, 2022
Has there been any word on when these go on sale, and where they can be purchased?
I contacted Inno3d sales support on October 12th inquiring where and when the iChill Frostbite 4090 (the custom loop card) would be available for purchase, and still haven’t received even a boilerplate reply. Their website lists Newegg as their sole US retailer, but they are not listing any 4090 cards, just 3000 series still. I’ve never owned an Inno3d card…never heard of them before the 4090 AIB roundup lists emerged last month. I was willing to give them a try, but now I’m a little nervous given their launch delays and lack of response to my customer support inquiry. If anyone has further info, please let us know. It would have been nice if the article’s writer had asked those questions rather than just regurgitating a press release.